Auburndale, FL: The Lesley baseball team got their 2018 season off to a positive start with a 3-1 victory in the first of their two games against St Joseph's College Golden Eagles from Long Island, New York at the Russ Matt Invitational Tournament on Friday, March 9.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Lesley opened the top of the first off an RBI double from Matthew Warner. Vincent Taliercio led off the game with a single to center and later advanced on a wild pitch to get into scoring position for Warner to drive him in.
- Senior ace Tom Muratore kept the Golden Eagles scoreless through the first 3 innings, before the Lynx added an insurance run in the top of the 4th.
- Warner led off the 4th with a single left field. Sophomore Steven DePalma laced a double to centerfield that Warner legged out from first to to make in 2-0.
- Lesley made it 3-0 when Taliercio stole home on the throw down to second base on a first and third steal situation.
- St Joseph's managed to gain their sole run of the contest at the bottom of the 6th inning with Paul Britt started off with a single to center and advanced to second on a passed ball. Lou Doria sent a base hit up the middle which put runners at the corners for Britt to score off a fielder's choice.
- Both teams remained scoreless in the final frame, and the Lynx claimed the 3-1 victory in their season opener.