Winterhaven,FL-- The Lesley baseball squad continued their spring training action in Florida with a series split against The University of Minnesota Morris. The Cougars claimed game one 3-0, but the Lynx ran away with the second game in a 12-1 victory. The even 1-1 on the day gives the Lynx a 3-2 record on the young season.
GAME 1- Inside the Boxscore:
- The Cougars started the scoring in the bottom of the first inning off a two-out RBI from Thomas Eckstein to bring in Jackson Gessell.
- Junior Vincent Taliercio and senior JP Agiorious lead off the top of the third with back to back singles, but couldn't string any more hits together to get on the board. With the bases loaded Cougar pitcher Michael Head worked his way out of the jam with back to back strikeouts.
- In the bottom of the fourth the Cougars scored again off a sacrifice fly by Blake Haugen. They were able to get an insurance run in the bottom of the fifth with another RBI single from Eckstein.
- The Lynx had two hits in the final two innings off the bats of Michael Fiorelli and Justin Clark, but the early scores from the Cougars proved to be enough for the 3-0 victory.
- Junior Nick DeGrenier takes his first loss, scattering 6 hits and 2 earned runs, while striking out five in 4.2 innings of action.
- Junior Dan O'Donnell pitched one inning in relief and allowed only one hit and struck out two.
- Freshmen Michael Fiorelli and Zach Rossi both recorded their first collegiate hits for the Lynx.
GAME 2- INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- The Cougars got on the board first again in the top of the second of an RBI from Nash Kramer. With one out and runners at the corners Kramer sent a grounder to second to push the run across.
- Junior Matthew Bavaro answered back in the bottom half of the frame with an RBI double to drive in Junior Ryan Pumphret.
- The Lynx then scattered runs in each of the remaining innings and kept the Cougars scoreless with excellent defense behind freshman starter, Brian Schied.
- A 6-run sixth sparked with an RBI double from Pumphret, and a 1 out single from Aaron Rhodes earned the 12-1 victory for Lesley.
- Freshmen Brian Scheid earned the win after tossing 5 innings, allowing just 3 hits and 1 earned run while fanning 5.
- Colin Reed, Michael Ayala, Nathan Lyons, and Jeff Heinz all saw relief action only allowing a combined 2 hits.
- Junior Ryan Pumphret lead the Lynx going 2-4 at the plate with 2 doubles.
- Nicholas Ferragine went 2-2, scoring 2 runs and knocking in 1 RBI.
The Lynx next play a double header vs. Stockton University on Thursday March 15th at 2:45 and 5:15 at Lake Myrtle Complex.