Northborough, Mass- The Lesley baseball team dropped a double header to Mitchell College on Tuesday afternoon 7-0, and 3-2. With the sweep, the Mariners edged out the Lynx for first place in the NECC conference with an 11-2 record. Lesley is close behind with an 11-3 conference record and looks to even the standings at the rubber match on Thursday April 26th.
GAME 1- INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- After a scoreless first inning, Mitchell got on the board in the top of the second off a solo blast from Jack Finnegan. The Mariners added two more in the third off Lesley pitcher Pablo Casas's miscues to take a 3-0 lead.
- Mitchell pitcher Eddie Santiago kept the Lynx hitters off balance only allowing three hits through four innings.
- James Rangel led off the top of the fifth with a solo shot of his own and extended the lead to 5-0.
- Lesley threatened in the bottom of the frame with back to back lead off singles from J.P. Agiorgousis and Gage Reycroft, but the Mariner defense shut them down with a double play to end the inning and keep Lesley scoreless.
- The final two runs of the game was a two run homer from Eric Marriott to secure the 7-0 game one victory for Mitchell.
- J.P. Agiorgousis led the offense for the Lynx going 2-3.
- Pablo Casas takes the loss, scattering 7 hits and 5 earned runs in 5 innings of work.
GAME 2-INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Mitchell struck first in the top of the second for a 2-0 lead. Back to back singles from Steven Pagan and Jack Finnegan to lead off the inning set up an RBI (2) single from Jason West.
- The middle innings of the game was a pitcher's duel with only two hits, both coming from the Mariner's side. Eric Marriott got Mitchell some momentum with a bunt single than advanced to third on double from Garet Griffin. Mitchell was able to get one run across in the frame off a passed ball, but Lynx reliever Daniel O'Donnell Jr. shut down the threat.
- In the bottom of the frame, Gage Reycrof reached first on an error by the short stop to lead off. With two outs, Steven DePalma blasted a 2-run homer to left field to get the Lynx within one run, 3-2.
- O'Donnell retired the side in order in the top of the seventh to give his team a chance, but the Mariners's pitcher followed O'Donnell's lead retiring the side to earn the 3-2 game two victory and double header sweep.
- Steven DePalma recorded the only two hits for the Lynx, going 2-3 including a 2 run homer.
- Brett Dabrowski takes the loss scattering 8 hits and 2 earned runs.
Lesley is back at it again tomorrow for a single game at Eastern Nazarene College with first pitch at 6:00pm.