Leesburg, FL - Lesley University baseball were swept in a doubleheader against William Paterson University, Friday afternoon in Leesburg, Florida. The Lynx could not hold off a Pioneer comeback in Game 1, 6-5, then the Lynx faced tough pitching in Game 2 to fall, 5-1. Lesley drop to 1-6 on the year, while William Paterson improve to 8-2.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Trailing 4-0 in the top of the sixth, Lesley put together five runs to grab a late lead. Five straight singles brought in a collective two runs to force the Pioneers into a pitching change; Vincent Taliercio (Valley Stream, N.Y.), Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA.), Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, MA.), Matthew Warner (San Diego, CA), and Brendan Fairchild (Temecula, CA) all came up with the base hits.
- Matt Bavaro (Sayville, N.Y.) then grounded into a double play, which brought home Pumphret. Leo DiGuilio (Bradley Beach, N.J.) and Nicholas Ferragine (Randolph, N.J.) then came up with RBIs to give the Lynx its first lead in the top of the sixth, 5-4. William Paterson would regain the lead in the following half inning, they would maintain that lead until the end.
- Lesley outhit the Pioneers 11-9 with Pumphret, Taliercio, DiGuilio, and Ferragine all picking up two hits each.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley picked up its only run in the bottom of the seventh. Following a Zach Rossi (Shrewsbury, MA.) double, Ferragine was able to reach base on an error which brought Rossi home.
- Daniel O'Donnell Jr. (Clark, N.J.) pitched all seven innings allowing just five runs (four earned) on 11 hits, while striking out three batters.
- Rhone lead the Lesley hitting with two base knocks.
Lesley (1-6) return to the diamond for its final day in Florida on Saturday, March 16, for a doubleheader against Franklin & Marshall at 10:00AM and 12:30PM, from Winter Haven, Florida.