Worcester, MA - Lesley University baseball came up with sweep in a New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) doubleheader versus Southern Vermont College on Sunday afternoon at Granger Field on the campus of Clark University. In Game 1, Lesley were able to win a pitcher's duel 5-3. While in game two, the Lynx offense jumped on the Mountaineers for an 11-7 win. Lesley improve to 5-12 on the year, 3-1 in NECC play. Meanwhile, the Mountaineers sit at 6-10-1 on the season, posting a 1-3 conference record.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley were first on the board from a Matthew Warner (San Diego, CA.) two-run homer to left field to bring Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, MA.) to the plate, after Pumphret doubled. This gave the Lynx an early 2-0 cushion.
- Later in the inning, Nicholas Ferragine (Randolph, N.J.) doubled to score Leo DiGuilio (Bradley Beach, N.J.). DiGuilio reached on an error then stole second base to set up the RBI opportunity.
- The Mountaineers would not be held quite as they grabbed a run in the fourth inning through a sacrifice fly. Lesley would take advantage of some Southern Vermont errors and score two more runs before heading to the bottom of the seventh.
- In the bottom of the seventh Daniel O'Donnell Jr. (Clark, N.J.) came on to earn his first save on the season, ending the game with a backwards "K". Lynx came away with a vital 5-3 conference victory over the Mountaineers.
- Jonathan Truscott (Dudley, MA.) picked up his first win of season with six innings pitched. Truscott finished his afternoon with just three earned run on three hits while striking out five batters.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley got the ball rolling with a Vincent Taliercio (Valley Stream, N.Y.) which set up Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA.) to double for the game's first run. Taliercio's single marked his 100th career hit with the Lynx.
- Taliercio's day continued with a bases clearing triple to deep center to bring in three more runs in the second inning. The next batter, Martinez brought Taliercio home with a single to give Lesley a 5-0 lead after two innings.
- Southern Vermont would pick up one run in the third, put Lesley put the game away in the fifth inning. Warner homered to left field after Pumphret walked to plate two more runs, Warner's second homer of the day.
- Next, DiGuilio singled to bring home Jacob Cervantes (Ventura, CA.) to make the score 8-1. Lesley would go on to score three more runs in the fifth, benefitting from two wild pitches and a Will Rhone (North Haven, CT.) RBI double.
- Although, the Mountaineers make things close in the bottom of the seventh, Lesley was able to hold on for the sweep.
- Colin Reed (Bedford, N.Y.) pitched 6.2 innings allowing nine runs (five earned) on 12 hits, while striking out three batters. O'Donnell Jr. came on to record the final out for his second save of the day and the season.
- Both Martinez and Pumphret finished the day with two hits, while Matt Bavaro (Sayville, N.Y.) and Leo DiGuilio (Bradley Beach, N.J.) each grabbed a hit of their own.
Lesley (5-12, 3-1) continue NECC play as they travel to New England College on Saturday, April 6, for a doubleheader against the Pilgrims beginning at 12:00PM. Southern Vermont College (6-10-1, 1-3) travel to Skidmore College on Staurday, April 6, for a non-conference doubleheader. First pitch of game one is 12:00PM.