Worcester, MA. - Lesley University baseball came out on the wrong end of a New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) sweep against Dean College on Sunday afternoon at Granger Field, on the campus of Clark University. Lesley came up short in the first game 6-3, followed by a Dean win, 6-5, in eight innings. The Lynx fall to 6-15, and 4-4 in conference action. Meanwhile, Dean College improve their record to 8-13 overall, and 5-1 in NECC play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Both teams were held scoreless through the first three inning as both teams couldn't find an offensive spark. However, the Bulldogs would go on to score four runs over the fourth and fifth inning.
- Lesley would grab runs of its own in the fifth. Nicholas Ferragine (Randolph, N.J.) came to the plate with the bases loaded and reached on a fielder's choice. This scored Zach Rossi (Shrewsbury, MA.) and Gage Reycroft (Fort Myers, FL.) after advancing on an arid throw.
- Dean would grab two more runs before the Lynx would head to the bottom of the seventh. Dean pitching had allowed just one hit up to this point.
- Brendan Fairchild (Temecula, CA.) would homer to left field to bring the Lynx within three runs, Fairchild's homerun was his first of the season. Dean would close out the contest for a 6-3 win.
- Jonathan Truscott (Dudley, MA.) pitched six innings in the loss with three strikeouts and allowing five runs.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley jumped on the board first. After Will Rhone (North Haven, CT.) doubled and then stole third, Vincent Taliercio (Valley Stream, N.Y.) singled to score Rhone from third. Dean would take the lead in the top of the second from a two run homer.
- The Lynx would respond with two runs of its own in the bottom of the inning. After Dean walked home a run to tie the game. Rhone reached on a fielder's choice to score Rossi from third, to take a 3-2 lead after two innings.
- Both teams in the third scored a run courtesy of a sacrifice fly. Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, MA.) scored Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA.) from third, after Martinez reached on a triple. Pumphret's sacrifice gave the Lynx a 4-3 lead.
- Dean would grab a late lead in the fifth inning and head to the seventh holding a 5-4 lead. In the bottom of the seventh, Matthew Warner (San Diego, CA.) singled with two outs to give Lynx a late chance.
- Then, after Michael Fiorelli (Rutland, MA.) entered as a pinch-runner, Rossi stepped to the plate and doubled down the right field line, to bring around Fiorelli from first to tie the game at 5-5. However, Lesley could not hold of Dean in the eighth and could not reply as Dean walked away with the 6-5 win.
- Daniel O'Donnell Jr. (Clark, N.J.) pitched all eight innings with three strikeouts, while only allowing four earned runs.
Lesley (6-15, 4-4) travel to Gordon College on Tuesday, April 9, for single game beginning at 3:30PM. Meanwhile, Dean College (8-13, 5-1) host Eastern Connecticut State for non-conference game on Wednesday, April 9, staring at 3:00PM.