Worcester, MA. - Lesley University baseball and Elms College each took a win from conference doubleheader on Saturday afternoon at Granger Field. The Blazers captured the first game 7-2, while Lesley took the second game in a 2-0 shutout. The Lynx improve its record to 7-18 overall and 5-5 in conference play. Meanwhile, Elms move to 4-18, 2-4 in conference play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Both teams started the game with offense, as each team scored a run from a sacrifice ground out in the first inning. Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, MA.) grounded out to the third basemen while scoring Nicholas Ferragine (Randolph, N.J.). The first inning ended with both teams scoring one run.
- However, Elms would score three runs in the third inning to hold a 4-1 lead. Lesley would grab a run in the third inning from a Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA.) fielder's choice.
- Although, that would be the last of the offense for the Lynx as the Blazers held Lesley to just five hits on the day. Elms would score three more runs before the contest ended, taking the game by a final of 7-2.
- Brett Dabrowski (South Windsor, CT.) picked up the loss with five innings of work, allowing seven runs (five earned).
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley opened the scoring in the second inning. Michael Fiorelli (Rutland, MA.) had a sacrifice ground out to score Steven DePalma (Albertson, N.Y.), following a DePalma double, to take a 1-0 lead.
- Lesley collected an insurance run in the fifth inning from a Vincent Taliercio (Valley Stream, N.Y.) single to score Fiorelli, giving the Lynx a 2-0 lead. Lesley would hold on to complete a shutout of the Blazers, 2-0.
- Jonathan Truscott (Dudley, MA.) pitched six innings allowing just two hits and one walk while striking out five batters. Truscott had a perfect game through four innings before a hit in the fifth inning ended the perfect game bid. Daniel O'Donnell Jr. (Clark, N.J.) came on the mound to record the final three outs for his third save of the season.
- Lesley as a group turned in five hits (three doubles and two singles), Taliercio led the way with two base knocks.
Lesley (7-18, 5-5) return to action for single game against Framingham State on Tuesday, April 16, beginning at 3:30PM. Elms College (4-18, 2-4) hit the field the next day with a conference doubleheader against Newbury College, first pitch for game one is at 12:00PM.