New London, CT. - Lesley University baseball were swept by Mitchell College during a New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) doubleheader on Tuesday afternoon at Alumni Field. Lesley came up short in the first game 10-0, followed by a Mitchell win, 7-6. The Lynx fall to 7-22, and 5-7 in conference action. Meanwhile, Mitchell College improve their record to 27-6 overall, and 11-1 in NECC play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Mitchell jumped on the board first with runs in the first inning, posting three runs in the first frame. Mitchell would not look back, as they popped three more runs in the third inning, and four more runs in the fourth.
- Lesley faced tough pitching as Jakari Pellegrini pitched six solid innings for the Mariners, allowing just two hits. Brian Ricker came on to pitch the seventh and close out the contest 10-0 in favor of the home team.
- Brett Dabrowski (South Windsor, CT.) pitched 3.2 innings in the loss allowing 10 runs on 13 hits.
- The Lynx scattered a few hits during the game. Vincent Taliercio (Valley Stream, N.Y.) doubled, while Zach Rossi (Shrewsbury, MA.) and Steven DePalma (Albertson, N.Y.) singled during the game.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Mitchell, like game one, started the contest with runs in bunches. Over the first three innings, the Mariners posted seven runs to take an early lead.
- Lesley started their comeback bid in the fourth inning, as the Lynx put up five runs. With two outs, back-to-back singles from Taliercio and Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, MA.) scored the first two runs for the Lynx.
- Next, Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA.) had a ground rule double to score a third run for Lesley. Followed by a DePalma single to plate Martinez and Pumphret, to cap a five run inning. However, the Lynx still trailed, 7-5, after the offensive inning.
- The Lynx did not stop as they pulled another run back in the sixth inning. Rossi singled to centerfield to score Taliercio, to bring the Lynx within one run of the Mariners, 7-6. However, the home team would hold on to win, closing out the seventh inning 1-2-3 to end a Lesley comeback bid, 7-6 Mariners.
- Jonathan Truscott (Dudley, MA.) was on the hook for the loss, allowing six runs (five earned) on four hits.
- Eight different student-athletes posted a hit, with Taliercio, Pumphret, and Martinez each adding two. The Lynx defense was also alive, as the infield turned three double plays during the game (Single game high of the season).
Lesley (7-22, 5-7) host Lasell College on Thursday, April 25, for single game beginning at 2:30PM, game will be played at New England Baseball Complex. Meanwhile, Mitchell College (27-6, 11-1) visit Wheaton College for non-conference game on Thursday, April 25, starting at 4:00PM.