Northborough, N.H. - Lesley University baseball collected split of New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) DH against Newbury College at New England Baseball Complex (NEBC) on Saturday afternoon. Lesley fell in game one, 5-3. In game two, Lesley came from a seven run deficit to win 13-9. The Lynx improve its record to 9-23 overall and 6-8 in conference play. Meanwhile, Newbury move to 7-22, also 4-10 in conference play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Nighthawks would strike first in the first inning and hold that advantage until the fourth inning. Back-to-back hits from Steven DePalma (Albertson, N.Y.), single up the middle, and Zach Rossi (Shrewsbury, MA.), double to right center, plated the first run for the Lynx, 1-1.
- Newbury would respond in the bottom of the inning to take 3-1 lead, the Nighthawks added two more runs in the following inning.
- Lynx offense continued to have few opportunities until the seventh inning.
- With two outs, Lesley would fight back with three consecutive hits from Nicholas Ferragine (Randolph, N.J.), Vincent Taliercio (Valley Stream, N.Y.), and Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA.). Martinez's single moved runners to third and second and score a run bringing it to 5-2.
- Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, MA.) was next intestinally walked to load the bases, DePalma reached on a hit by pitch, bring the score to 5-3. However, the Lynx could not capitalize on the opportunity and Newbury held on for a 5-3 victory.
- Jonathan Truscott (Dudley, MA.) takes the loss allowing five runs (three earned) on seven hits.
- Lesley collected eight hits, with Taliercio leading with three and Ferragine just behind with two.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Newbury jumped out to a 7-0 lead in the first frame. Lesley would climb back into the game in the third inning. Pumphert started the rally with a two run homer to score Martinez. The Pumphret homerun marked the 100th career RBI for the senior.
- The Lynx benefited from Newbury mistakes as runs crossed the plate on a walk with the bases loaded, a pass ball, and a balk. Lesley brought the Newbury lead to just two.
- In the fifth inning, Lesley would tie the game taking advantage of some miscues by the Nighthawks. The Lynx would score another run on a pass ball and after Matt Bavaro (Sayville, N.Y.) reached on an error by the infield.
- Lesley would take its first lead of the game in the fifth, after a Martinez double drove Ferragine to the plate. Four more runs came for the Lynx in the top of the sixth. Two runs on a pass ball, and RBI hits from Martinez and DePalma pushed the score to 12-7. Lesley grabbed one more insurance run in the seventh, from a wild pitch, to take home a 13-9 win.
- Daniel O'Donnell Jr. (Clark, N.J.) picked up the win in relief going 6.2 innings with eight strikeouts. O'Donnell has been involved in six of the nine wins this season, picking up three wins and three saves this season.
- The Lesley offense registered season high 16 hits on the game, every batter in the lineup recorded a base hit. Four Lynx posted two or more hits on the contest: Martinez (4), Ferragine (2), Pumphret (2), and DePalma (2).
Lesley (9-23, 6-8) return to action the next day with a Senior Day doubleheader against Becker College. The games will be played at NEBC in Northborough, Mass., beginning at 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Newbury College (7-22, 4-10) travel to New England College for a conference doubleheader on Sunday, April 28.