Northborough, MA - Lesley University baseball had some senior day magic with two walk-off singles to sweep Becker College in a New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) doubleheader Sunday afternoon at New England Baseball Complex. In Game 1, Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, MA.) singled in the top of the seventh to give Lesley a 10-9 come from behind victory. Meanwhile in game two, Jacob Cervantes (Ventura, CA.) had a pinch-hit single in the bottom of the 11th inning to give Lesley a 4-3 win. With the sweep, Lesley also confirmed a spot in the NECC conference tournament, after entering the day outside the bracket. Lesley close regular season with record of 11-23 on the year, 8-8 in NECC play. Meanwhile, the Hawks sit at 13-24 on the season, posting a 7-9 conference record.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley would pick up the game's first runs in the second inning. Cervantes plated two with a single up the middle to get the home team on the right path. However, the Hawks responded with six runs in the third inning to hold a 6-2 lead.
- Lesley climbed back into the game with three runs in the third. First, Zach Rossi (Shrewsbury, MA.) walked with the bases loaded to score one, flowed by a Cervantes single, and then a Matt Bavaro (Sayville, N.Y.) fielder's choice. Becker still held a 6-5 advantage at this point.
- Both teams would collect a run in the fourth inning, Lesley's run would come off the bat of Pumphret as he doubled to push Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA.) the plate. After two more runs from the Hawks in the sixth, Pumphret would double in the bottom of the inning to plate Martinez again. At this point, Becker held a 9-7 advantage and Lesley had the bases loaded with two outs. Cervantes, who had three RBI's already, singled to left two drive in two runs to tie the contest at 9-9.
- In the seventh, the lynx loaded the bases with Pumphret at the plate. A long single was enough to push a Lynx home for a walk-off win.
- Colin Reed (Bedford, N.Y.) picks up the win in his two innings of relief, did not allow a baserunner while on the rubber.
- Lesley collected 11 hits on the day with Cervantes and Pumphret going perfect from the dish (Cervantes 4-4, and Pumphret 3-3).
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Hawks, looking to avenge its game one loss, posted three runs in first two inning, 3-0.
- Lesley would however, chip away at the lead with in the third inning. After Brendan Fairchild (Temecula, CA.) doubled to start the inning, a sacrifice ground-out from Bavaro setup Gage Reycroft (Fort Myers, FL.) for a sacrifice fly to bring Fairchild home. An inning later, Lesley would grab another run after a Leo DiGuilio (Bradley Beach, N.J.) single brought home Martinez. Lesley still trailed after five innings, 3-2.
- The Lynx would tie things up at 3-3 in the sixth inning. With two outs and Pumphret on first after a single, DiGuilio doubled to deep right field to score Pumphret. No team could find a winning run after seven, giving the crowd some "free baseball". Daniel O'Donnell Jr. (Clark, N.J.) and was solid in relief pitching two and two-thirds scoreless innings to keep the Lynx in the contest between the seventh and ninth inning.
- Lesley then turned to Cervantes to stride the rubber. Cervantes had not made an appearance on the mound to this point and had only thrown one inning two seasons prior. While on the rubber, Cervantes came up with big moments to keep the tie, including back-to-back strikeouts in the top of the eleventh with the bases loaded.
- Cervantes would then be the hero at the plate, has he pinch hit for the designated hitter and singled to centerfield to score Rossi to walk-off 4-3 after 11 innings.
- Cervantes earns his first win of his career after two innings pitched and grabbing three strikeouts. Steven DePalma (Albertson, N.Y.) also played a pivotal role in relief going four and one-third without allowing a run.
- Lesley as a group posted seven hits with DiGiulio and Pumphret leading the way with two each.
Lesley (11-23, 8-8) await to see who they will play in the NECC Conference Tournament, the Lynx could finish as the three or four seed. Lesley will host a first round game on Tuesday, April 30. Becker College (13-24, 7-9) travel to also have qualified for the postseason and could landed the five or six seed, they also play on Tuesday, April 30, in first round game.