NORTHBOROUGH, MA. – The Lesley baseball team lost their season opener to the Pine Manor Gators 12-4 on Tuesday night. The Lynx now sit at 0-1 heading into their Florida trip, while Pine Manor starts off at 1-0.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Steven DePalma got the start on the mound for the Lynx and shut down Pine Manor for the most part. DePalma racked up ten strikeouts in five innings, while walking three. He only allowed one hit, a home run to Cedrick Pena that put the Gators up 1-0.
- The Lynx got on the board in the third and fourth innings thanks to some fielding miscues by Pine Manor. Catcher Evan Reynolds made two throwing errors that allowed Zach Rossi and Will Rhone to score in the third and in the fourth, Ronnie James singled with Brendan Fairchild on first. Throwing errors by Terry Daniels and Eduary Baez allowed Fairchild to score on the base hit and James to advance to third.
- The Gators turned up the heat after DePalma exited the game, with a two-run homer by Baez in the sixth and a three-run shot by Daniels in the seventh. Pine Manor broke it open in the 8th when Chris Papallo misplayed a ball with the bases loaded that led to a six-run inning for the Gators.
- The game was marred by errors, with Lesley making six and Pine Manor making five. Only one of the four runs scored by Lesley was earned since the other three were scored due to throwing errors.
- Javi Martinez had a strong day at the plate for the Lynx, going 2 for 5.
- Zane Mikula got the loss for the Lynx, while James Sneyd picked up the win for Pine Manor after the tie was broken.
The Lynx head down to Florida for a seven game trip that begins with on Friday March 6th against Muhlenberg at 5:30 PM.