AUBURNDALE, FL. – The Lesley Lynx baseball team could not get their bats going in two losses in Florida against Wartburg and the Milwaukee School of Engineering on Saturday. The losses put the Lynx at 0-4 overall on the season, while Wartburg moved to 9-1 and MSOE advanced to 6-3.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- Both teams were quiet early on, with neither scoring until the fourth inning. Wartburg got on the board first after Ben Dekruyf singled and eventually came around to score.
- Wartburg scored again in the fifth after back-to-back doubles by Jarod Harris and Max Goodhue and a single by Parker Ridge. The Knights went ahead 4-0 and still had more damage to do.
- The Knights had seven straight runners reach base in the sixth innings, all but one through a walk or a single. All seven scored to put the Knights up 11-0.
- Zane Mikula took the loss for the Lynx, his second of the season, while Manny Jeffrey got the win for Wartburg. Jeffrey only allowed five hits to the Lynx and Lesley could not muster a run.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- Pitching was again an issue for Lesley against MSOE as they lost 14-3 and allowed 18 hits to the Raiders. MSOE took a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the second after Josh Beier singled to drive in Nick Stricker, Brandon Beauchamp singled to drive in Kyle Labedz, Micah Overley drove in Beier on a groundout, and Chris Barnes doubled Beauchamp in.
- Javi Martinez got the offense going for the Lynx with a two-run double in the top of the third to cut the Raiders' lead in half, but it wasn't enough to stem the tide. MSOE scored four times again in the bottom of the fourth to make it 8-2.
- CJ Fusco drove in the Lynx's third run of the day with a single to score Steven DePalma before MSOE got back to work. They put together their third four-run inning of the day in the seventh and added two more in the eighth to complete their 14-3 win.
- Tyler Gronert picked up the win for the Raiders, while Jonathan Truscott took the loss for Lesley. Gronert allowed three runs and struck out six over six innings and Truscott gave up eight runs and struck out three in four innings.
The Lynx take on UMass-Dartmouth as they continue their Florida trip on Sunday March 8th at 1:30 PM.