AUBURNDALE, FL. – The Lesley Lynx baseball team dropped both games of their doubeleheader against Wentworth Institute of Technology on Wednesday, the final day of their Florida trip, losing 8-7 in extra innings in game 1 and 17-4 in game 2. The Lynx fall to 0-8 overall this season, while the Leopards move to 5-3.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- The Lynx got out to a 1-0 lead in the third inning, thanks to a Javi Martinez single to drive in Zach Rossi.
- Jonathan Truscott was great over his 5.1 innings for the Lynx. He escaped several jams to keep his team within striking distance, but Wentworth did pick up two runs in the bottom of the fourth to go ahead. Matt Bishop drove in a run on a fielder's choice, then scored on a double by Matt Masciadrelli.
- Wentworth got one more off of Truscott in the bottom of the sixth, when Nolan Freeman singled to drive in two runs, one attributed to Truscott and one to Nate Trudnich. Later in the inning, Nolan McManus singled to drive in two and push the Leopards' lead to 6-1.
- The Lynx refused to go quietly and used a late surge to keep themselves in the game in the top of the seventh. Hunter Thornton had been fantastic for Wentworth, going six innings and racking up 15 strikeouts while giving up one run on four hits. The Lynx saw an opportunity when Jon Campbell came in and pounced on it.
- The seventh began with William Lombardo reaching on an error and scoring on a Michael Fiorelli double. Fiorelli was then driven in by Christian Vignola's RBI single to make it 6-3. Martinez doubled to move Vignola to third and put two runners in scoring position with nobody out for Steven DePalma.
- DePalma drove both runners in with a single, then stole second to set himself up to score the tying run on a single by freshman CJ Fusco. Fusco was picked off of second for the final out of the inning, but the Lynx were still alive heading to the bottom of the inning.
- David Albuquerque headed back to the mound for the Lynx and allowed a walk and a base hit, but was able to escape with the tie game intact heading to extras.
- After a scoreless 8th, the Lynx got back to work. Chris Papallo was able to draw a bases loaded walk to put his team ahead 7-6 heading into the bottom of the 9th.
- Albuquerque was unable to escape trouble, after Kyle O'Neill reached first on an error and advanced to second on a throwing error on a pickoff attempt. O'Neill scored on a double by Masciadrelli, who then scored on a follow-up double by Jacob Knowles to win the game for the Leopards.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- The Leopards jumped out in front quickly with four first inning runs off of Zane Mikula. The Lynx got two back in the second with two RBI ground outs by Vignola and Lombardo, but Wentworth blew the game open from there.
- The Leopards scored seven runs over the next three innings and added six more in the top of the seventh. Lesley was able to get two more for themselves, but couldn't slow the Wentworth bats.
- Matt Bishop had a 2 for 5 game for Wentworth and drove in four runs while scoring two himself. Jack Ruprecht went 1 for 2 with three RBI, while Kyle Desjardins and Aidan French each had three hit games.
- The Lynx were able to put together twelve hits, but could not push many runs across. Fusco, Vignola, Ronnie James, and Brendan Fairchild each had two hits, while Fairchild, Vignola, Lombardo, and Rossi each drove a run in.
The Lynx return home for a doubleheader against Dean to open conference play on Saturday March 14th beginning at 11 AM.