WESTWOOD, MA. – The Lesley Lynx baseball team split a doubleheader with the Becker Hawks on Sunday, winning game one 14-6 and losing game two 12-4. The Lynx are now 2-6 on the season, while the Hawks sit at 3-7.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- In one of the most bizarre innings of all time, the Lynx took a 9-0 lead in the bottom of the first without even recording a hit. Giovanni Torres led off with a walk, Ian Spillane reached on an error, Steven DePalma walked to load the bases, and CJ Fusco walked to drive in the first run. The Hawks were then forced to change pitchers due to making two mound visits.
- Back-to-back hit by pitches, a fielder's choice, an error, and a walk put the Lynx up 6-0. Torres came up for the second time in the inning and made the first out, which still drove in a run. The Lynx eventually got their first hit of the game on a two-run triple by Spillane, who then scored on a ground out by DePalma.
- Michael Tres and Zane Mikula were given plenty of insurance to work with. They each allowed 3 runs and Christian Rapoza closed out the game with a scoreless inning.
- Torres and Michael Fiorelli both picked up two hits in the game and every Lynx started reached base and scored at least once in the game.
- Rego took the loss after allowing five runs before recording an out due to the mix up, leaving him fresh to start game two for Becker.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- What started out as a pitcher's duel turned into a blowout as the Lynx bullpen struggled to shut down the Hawks lineup. Jonathan Truscott gave up three runs in 3.2 innings, while Rego kept the Lynx quiet until the bottom of the fifth.
- Lesley pulled ahead with a four run fifth inning, capped off by a two-run homer by Fiorelli and an RBI single by Chris Papallo for the go-ahead run.
- The Hawks put the game out of reach with a nine-run sixth inning. The Lynx bullpen collectively struggled with control and could not get out of the inning without cycling through three different pitchers.
- Benjamin Costa and Kevin Santiago each had two hits for the Hawks, while Papallo was a perfect 3-for-3 for Lesley.
- Zayvier Hartman was brought in to relieve Rego and earned the win with 2.1 flawless innings, Five of the ten eight outs he recorded were by strikeout.
The Lynx host Mitchell College for a doubleheader next Saturday, April 17th, with the first game beginning at 12 PM.