FITCHBURG, MA. – The Lesley Lynx Baseball team completed a late-inning comebcak to defeat the Fitchburg State Falcons on Wednesday afternoon. The Lynx advance to 6-7 this season, while the Falcons fall to 2-10.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley got the scoring started out of the gate in the bottom of the first inning, with Cal Caruso doubling to drive in Justin Dennett and Andrew Gryniewicz following it up with a base hit that scored Caruso. The RBI were number 13 for Caruso and 8 for Gryniewicz this season.
- From that point, Falcons starter Orion Daily settled in to throw five consecutive shutout innings and strike out eight Lynx. His offense did the work to tie the game, thanks to a second inning homer by Richard Sharp and wild pitch that scored Brendan Ferrell in the third. Daily left after six total innings and four more runs by the Falcons to give them a 6-2 lead.
- The Lynx battled back to tie the game in the top of the seventh, knocking Falcons reliever Silas Thomas out of the game after recording only one out. Colin McCarthy doubled to drive in Ronnie James, then scored on a base hit by Ian Dempsey to make it 6-4. Dempsey and Adam Budorick then scored on a single by Dennett to tie the game. The single put Dennett into the team lead for RBI with fourteen.
- Christopher Masta put the Falcons back ahead in the bottom of the seventh, singling to score Vincent Eramo, but it was Lesley who would get the last laugh. In the top of the eighth, Gryniewicz reached on an error and Christian Vignola was hit by a pitch to set James up for a massive three-run go-ahead homer, his second of the season.
- Evan Swift earned the win, pitching an inning of relief and allowing only one run, while Christian Rapoza picked up his third save of the season by striking out four Falcons over two innings to finish things up.
The Lynx open their conference schedule with a visit to NECC opponent Eastern Nazarene College on Saturday March 26th. First pitch of the doubleheader will be at 2 PM.