The Lesley University Men's Basketball team open the 2018 campaign hosting Westfield State College in non-conference at Nicholas Athletic Facility. Despite the Lynx scoring the first bucket of the game, the Owls went on a 12-0 run early in the first half and were on their way to their first victory of the season. Lesley came within eight points of the Owls towards the end of the second half, but an 8-0 run for Westfield secured the lead for the remainder of the game. Westfield kicks off the season 1-0 in the 88-69 win, and Lesley falls 0-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- A quick basket by Lesley Junior Joey Martin put the Lynx on the board first. Westfield's Moodey Bey sparked the offense scoring 8 points in a minute to cap off a 12-0 run.
- Senior Will Gibson got the Lynx back in the game after claiming an offensive rebound at 16:37 and fought his way up to score a layup. Gibson then snagged a rebound on the defensive end of the court on the next possession forcing a Westfield foul. He sunk 1/2 free throws.
- Marcus Collins and Moodey Bey combined for the Owl's 23 of 46 points to lead Lesley 46-31 at the half.
- Junior Charlie Reznikoff kicked off the scoring in the second half after forcing a turnover and setting up deep for three at the 19:09 mark. Reznikoff worked his way in the paint all game ending the game with seven rebounds.
- Lesley made a push to close the scoring gap and came within eight points of the Owls during a 10-0 run sparked by Will Gibson and Joey Martin. Gibson forced two turnovers and dished out 2 assists, while Martin hit a big show from downtown to bring the score to 59-51 with 12:40 on the clock and force a Westfileld timeout.
- Westfield's Peter Mafo recharged the Owls after a four minute spree without scoring from the floor. Mafo and the Owls never let the Lynx come within ten points for the remainder of the game.
- Westfield shot 50.7% from the floor and 76.5% from the free throw line, while the Lynx shot 47.4% on the floor and 31% on free throws which proved to be the difference in the game.
THE INSIDE SCOOP:
"Westfield played their game for forty minutes. We need to take better care of the ball and defend at a higher level. We are all looking forward to getting back on the court tomorrow at practice and work on our mistakes," said head coach Chris Giordano.
- Marcus Collins 20pts 6 rebounds
- Moody Bey 18pts. 4 steals
- Ty Sands 10pts. 4 assists
The Lynx next comepete in the Tip Off Classic Friday Nov. 17 where they will play host school Rivier College and Unity College. The Owls are at home this weekend at the Rick Martin/Holiday Inn Express tournament.