The Lesley University men's basketball team slips to 4-3 on the year after a 80-63 loss to Wheaton College in the Hockenbury Classic championship game. With the win, the Lyons improve to 6-2 and ride a three game win streak. Senior Liam Bruno led all scorers with 27 points to lead Wheaton to the championship. Junior Joey Martin led the Lynx with 22 points.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley kicked off the game scoring first and was able to control the lead for the first ten minutes of play. The Lyons gained a 3 point advantage off a Liam Bruno shot from beyond the arc for their first lead of the night. Senior Marquise Johnson evened the score at 18 with 7:57 left in the first half.
- Wheaton went on a 13-4 run in the last five minutes to close out the first half 35-24.
- Lesley closed the spread to 7 early in the second half, but the Lyons jumped to a 15 point lead at 12:14 on the clock and were on their way to the victory.
- Liam Bruno led the charge for the Lyons with 27 points, 3 steals, and 6 rebounds, while Joey Martin spearheaded the Lynx with 22 points and 6 rebounds.
- Wheaton shot 53.5% and was 6-12 from 3-point range, while Lesley made 43.3% of their attempts and was 6-21 from downtown.
Joey Martin- 22pts, 4-12 3 pointers, 6 rebounds
Xeo Golding- 8 pts, 6 rebounds
Liam Bruno- 27 pts, 3 steals, 6 rebounds
Ryan Fogarty- 18 pts, 2 steals, 6 rebounds
"We came up short but I'm proud of the effort we put forth today," said head coach Chris Giordano. "Wheaton is a very good, tough team. We didn't come away with what we wanted but we're excited to get back to work on Tuesday at practice.
Lesley continues its non-conference slate at Framingham State on Thursday Dec. 7.