Cambridge, Mass-- Lesley University's Men's basketball team earned a hard fought victory 64-55 Tuesday night as they hosted Emerson College in a non-conference match-up at the Nicholas Athletic Center. The Lynx were led by Joey Martin, Charlie Reznikoff, and Will Gibson, while the Lions were led by Jack O'Connor and Geoffrey Gray. With the win the Lynx improve to 5-5 on the year while Emerson drops to 6-4.
Joey Martin – 15 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists
Charlie Reznikoff – 12 points
Will Gibson - 5 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds
Jack O'Connor -12 points, 6 rebounds
Geoffrey Gray – 11 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists
Michael Sheng– 8 points, 4rebounds, 1 assists
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Jack O'Connor started the Lions scoring off with netting the first three points from beyond the arc. Joey Martin answered right back for the Lynx with a three of his own which was foreshadowing for a competitive first-half.
- With score tied at 5-5 the Lynx went on a 5-0 run in result of jumper from Charlie Reznikoff and a three-pointer from Xeo Golding making it 10-5 Lynx.
- Senior Xeo Golding closed the first-half with his second key three of the half making the score 28-26 in Lesley's favor.
- O'connor had an impressive first-half of shooting finishing with 11 points for the Lions.
- Will Gibson served a role as facilitator with 5 assists and 5 rebounds for the Lynx in the first twenty minutes.
- Lynx continued their momentum into the second half with an 11-0 run capped off by a Martin three-pointer that banked in off the glass.
- After an Emerson time-out, the Lions stop the Lynx offensive charge with a jumper from Kent Ellerston and a three from John Geary to make the score 38-31.
- Both teams tightened up defensively keeping the score at 40-33 for several minutes. Michael Sheng broke the stalemate hitting a key 15 footer for the Lions followed by Ellerston hitting a 3-pointer to force a Lynx timeout. The timeout resulted in the Lions closing the gap 51-49 with 4:28 left to play.
- Rezkinoff hit one of two free-throws to extend the lead to three, but Gray sunk two free throws of his own to get within 1 point on Lesley.
- Trent Treyvon hit a deep three-pointer from Martin to extend the Lynx lead to 55-51 with under 2 minutes to go.
- The Lynx extended their lead 57-51 off a Martin lay up and were on their way to a 64-55 victory.
"We wanted to win this game more than they did. It was a great team win and we all played for each other," said Captain Joey Martin. Head coach Chris Giordano continued saying that "overall this was great team win. Emerson has the advantage in so many ways and we had to neutralize their height and skill. I'm so proud of how we played together and tough tonight to grind out the win. We kept our poise and stayed composed for the full 40 minutes and came away with a great one tonight," Giordano concluded.
Lesley will be back in action after the holiday break to open up NECC play hosting Becker College on Tuesday, January 9th at 8:00pm. Emerson travels to Gordon on December 16th, for a 3:00 pm start time.