Cambridge, Mass- The Lesley University Men's basketball team fell to fellow NECC foe Southern Vermont College 76-59 Thursday evening at Nicholas Athletic Center. Despite a back and forth battle the whole first half, the Mountaineers took control in the second half to earn the victory. Southern Vermont opened the half with a 12-2 run to gain a 10 point lead over the Lynx. After earning their biggest lead of the game they didn't allow Lesley to get within six points the remainder of the half. With the loss the Lynx sit at an even 6-6 on the year and 1-1 in NECC play, while the Moutaineers improve to 10-3 and 2-0 in conference play.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Southern Vermont kicked off the scoring with a 3-pointer from Mike Pierre in their first possession. Two possessions later Pierre drove to the hoop to make it 5-4 after made lay ups from Marquise Johnson and Treyvon Trent for the Lynx.
- The Moutaineers were able to keep a five to seven point lead the first ten minutes behind buckets from Andre Hodo and KJ Kinsey.
- Johnson made back to back layups for the Lynx to close the gap 17-16 before Jordan Bellitti sunk a jumper to give Lesley an 18-17 lead at 9:35 left on the clock.
- A 10-4 run in favor of the Moutaineers gave them back a five point cushion. Joey Martin hit for a big 3-pointer well beyond the arc to close the gap 29-27. Johnson followed up with a drive to hoop to tie the game with just over two minutes left in the half.
- Southern Vermont opened up the second half with a 12-2 run and swung momentum over to the visitors side. Back to back 3-pointers from Charlie Reznikoff and Jordan Bellitti got the Lynx back within six to stay in the game.
- Kinsey hit two 3-pointers to spark a 11-2 run for Southern Vermont and left Lesley chasing a 17-point deficit with 5 minutes left in the game. Despite a strong showing from Belletii towards the end, the lead was too much for the Lynx to recover and the Moutaineers claimed the victory 76-59.
- Pierre led all scorers with 19 points followed by Hodo with 15 and Daemond Carter with 15 of his own. The Moutaineer bench combined for 30 points in the victory.
- The Lynx were led by 12 point performances from Johnson and Bellitti, while Martin and Reznikoff each chipped in 10.
Marquise Johnson- 12 points, 7 rebounds
Joey Martin- 10 points, 9 rebounds
Jordan Bellitti- 12 points, 4 rebounds
Mike Pierre- 19 points, 8 rebounds
Andre Hodo- 15 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals
Daemond Carter- 15 points, 4 rebounds
Lesley will host Wheelock College this Sunday at 1:00pm for another NECC match up.