Cambridge, Mass- Lesley University and Mitchell College battled their way through overtime before the Lynx came out on top with a 111-100 victory to improve to 5-1 in NECC conference action and 10-6 overall. With the loss Mitchell drops to 8-9 overall and 4-2 in NECC play. Despite the loss for the Mariners, Junior Domenico Santiago eclipsed the 1,000 career point mark on January 20, 2018.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Mitchell College opened up the game on a 6-0 run behind Hasani Williams.
- The Lynx took their first lead off the night at 10:36 when Marquise Johnson drove to the hoop, drew the foul, and sank both of his free throws.
- Lesley then went on a 9-2 run to go up 28-21 with 5:35 left in the half. Chase Howard worked his moves and threw up 6 points in the spurt.
- The Lynx averaged a 10 point cushion for the remainder of the half ending with a score of 45-36 at the break.
- Johnson led the Lynx with 12 points and 2 steals while Hasani charged the Mariners with 15 points in the first twenty minutes.
- Lesley got up to an 18 point lead off a 3-point shot from Jordan Bellitti at 16:33. The lead wasn't enough as the Mariners responded with a 16-2 run to close the gap 57-63 in favor of the Lynx.
- Steffen Brunson nailed the long shot at 4:50 followed by a drive to hoop from Hasani to get within three points and force a Lesley time out.
- Back to back 3-pointers from Johnson and Bellitti extended the Lynx lead 87-78 with two minutes left in the game.
- The Mariners were not done yet, and came back to tie the game at 93 off a deep 3-pointer from Brayvon Young with 3 seconds left and force the game into overtime.
- Lesley opened the overtime period on an 11-0 run, which proved enough to claim the victory 111-100.
- Both Johnson and Hasani ended the night with double-doubles.
Marquise Johnson- 33 points, 10 rebounds, 2 steals
Joey Martin- 19 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists
Hasani Williams- 30 points, 15 rebounds
Steffen Brunson- 23 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals
Lesley next hosts Tufts University on Monday January 22 with an 8pm tip off.