Cambridge, Mass- The Lesley Men's Basketball team battled with Tufts University Monday evening at Nicholas Athletic Center. Tufts took a two point lead going into the second half 39-37, but pushed past the Lynx late in the second for the 97-74 victory. The second half offensive charge for the Jumbos saw them outscoring the Lynx 58-37, shooting 63% from the floor to Lesley's 37%. It was a game of 3-pointers for both squads combining for twenty-eight drilled from beyond the arc in the game. With the non-conference loss to crosstown NESCAC powerhouse, Lesley drops to 10-7 overall while the Jumbos improve to 13-5 on the year.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Tufts opened the game on a 10-2 run behind back to back long shots from Vincent Pace and Eric Savage. Pace sunk another 3-pointer at 15:10 to increase the Jumbo lead 19-6.
- Lesley settled in and responded with a 7-0 run to close the gap 19-13 with ten minutes left to go in the first half.
- The Lynx went on a 12-5 tear over four minutes of play to bring them within one point of the Jumbos, 26-25 with 6:02 left in the half. Chase Howard led Lesley with nine points in the Lynx attack. Joey Martin claimed Lesley's first lead of the night drilling a long range shot in their next possession and made it 28-26 in favor of the Lynx.
- KJ Garrett and Luke Rodgers took advantage of Lesley fouls and each hit a free throw to tie the game. Will Brady then went on a 3-point extravaganza knocking three down in less than a minute to give the Jumbos a 37-34 lead with thirty seconds left.
- WIll Gibson came back hitting a three of his own as time expired, and end the half 39-37 in favor of the Jumbos.
- The first ten minutes of the second half saw back and forth action, with Tufts keeping at least a four point lead. Savage hit a big three for the Jumbos after Lesley closed the gap 55-51, with his long shot sparking a 10-0 run and control of the game with a fourteen point lead.
- Howard sunk a three of his own to get the deficit back to ten, but next possession it was Brady again who hit from beyond the arc to extend the Jumbo lead.
- Tufts shot 63% from the floor and nailed 9 3-pointers in the second half to push past the Lynx and claim the eventual victory 97-74.
- Both Pace and Brady knocked down 5 3-pointers each for Tufts, and Pace led all scorers on the night with 26 points. Savage was next with 20 points and dished 3 assists.
- Howard led the Lynx with 16 points off the bench. Joey Martin was close behind with 12 points all of which came from 3-pointers. Martin battled all game down low and grabbed 8 rebounds.
- Tufts shot 52% overall from the floor, while Lesley shot at 46%.
- Both teams hit the long shot all night, but Tufts was able to come out on top sinking 16 to the Lynx 12 3-pointers.
Chase Howard- 16 points, 1 steal, 2 rebounds
Joey Martin- 12 points, 8 rebounds
Vincent Pace- 26 points, 8 rebounds
Erica Savage-20 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
"Tonight didn't go the way we wanted, Tufts is incredibly skilled and well coached," said head coach Chris Giordana. "They executed better than us and they deserved that win. We are excited to get back to practice tomorrow and prepare for our upcoming road trips," he concluded.
Junior Joey Martin agreed with Giodano and described how Tufts was hitting their shots and Lesley wasn't. "We played a tough game and battled with them, but executing their shots was the difference in the game," said Martin.
Lesley next travels to Elms College on Wednesday January 24 and looks to continue their winning ways in the NECC.