Cambridge, Mass-Saturday evening at Winsor Gym, the Lesley University Men's basketball team claimed their second victory of the season over Wheelock College 70-64. Despite the close score for a majority of the game, the Lynx never allowed the Wildcats to get more than a two point lead before closing out the game for their sixth NECC conference win and eleventh overall. The victory earns the Lynx a 6-2 NECC record and 11-8 overall. With the loss the Wildcats fall to 2-16 overall and 1-7 in conference.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley opened up the game on a 9-0 spurt to take control early. They took to lead to as many as 11 points before the Wildcats were able to string together a 10-2 run with 9 minutes remaining in the first half, making it a three point game.
- Marquise Johnson drove to the hoop for back to back baskets to get the Lynx up by six, 21-14.
- An impressive jumper from Erick Hernandez brought the Wildcats back within two to keep in the game. Jordan Bellitti attacked right back for Lesley to give themselves a two possession cushion.
- Wheelock took their first lead of the game off a deep three from Kadeem Apply with 2:34 on the clock making it 28-25.
- Johnson came up with a big steal for the Lynx with 25 seconds remaining and went in for an easy layup to put Lesley ahead 31-30 at the half. He lead Lesley with 12 points and 3 steals in the first twenty minutes of play.
- Lesley would start the second half with an 11-2 run that the Wildcats were unable to recover from. Wheelock's freshman guard Brendan Miller had an outstanding second half, scoring 14 points and grabbing 5 rebound but the Lynx proved to be too much and the young Wildcats.
- Johnson continued to pave the way for Lesley, tallying 11 points and 3 more steals in the second half, with an impressive 11 rebounds. He ended the night with a double-double with 23 points and 11 rebounds.
- Joey Martin chipped in 14 points for Lesley in the win.
- The Wildcat bench notched a notable 27 total points behind Miller's 20 point performance, to best the Lynx reserves tallying 16 points.
Marquise Johnson- 23 points, 11 rebounds, 6 steals
Joey Martin- 14 points, 6 rebounds
Brendan Miller- 20 points, 6 rebounds
Erica Hernandez- 16 points, 2 steals, 3 assists
Lesley next travels to Becker College on Wednesday January 31 for another NECC Conference clash.