Cambridge, Mass- Saturday evening the Lesley men's basketball team honored their two seniors, Marquise Johnson and Will Gibson for their outstanding two-year careers at Lesley. The dynamic duo led the Lynx in points in the match, but it wasn't enough as Lesley fell to Elms College 56-53. Elms took a 9-point lead into the half after Lesley held the advantage in the first ten minutes of play. The Lynx battled their way back to even the score in the but an eventual 3-pointer from the Blazers with thirty seconds left sealed the deal for their fourth win on the season. With the win, the Blazers improve to 4-21 overall and 4-10 in conference. Lesley ends their regular season campaign with a 12-13 overall record and 7-7 in the NECC.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley opened the game on a 9-2 run behind seniors Marquie Johnsona and Will Gibson playing excellent on both sides of the ball.
- Nikolas Brown drove to the hoop for a lay up at 12:35 to give the Blazers their first lead of the night, 12-11.
- After a Joey Martin lay up for the the Lynx, Elms sunk a 3-pointer from the hand of Tyler Sterling for a three point advantage in favor of the Blazers.
- Elms took a 10-4 run into the break to lead Lesley 32-23.
- Treyvon Trent led the Lynx at the half with 7 points and 3 rebounds off the bench.
- Lesley opened the second half scoring in back to back possessions to close the gap to a five point deficit.
- Despite two free throws for Elms, the Lynx defense was able to keep the Blazers scoreless for first five minutes of the second half. Johnson drove to hoop for a lay in at 16:10 and got his squad within three, only trailing 34-31.
- Both teams exchanged buckets for the middle ten minutes of the half, with Lesley trailing the blazers until Tristen Reese drilled 2 free throws to tie the game 49-49 with 3:46 left on the clock.
- The teams continued to trade points staying with two points of each other until Greg Metelus broke the stalemate with a big shot from downtown, the eventual game winner with 29 seconds left in regulation.
- Johnson led Lesley with 13 points and 7 rebounds on the night. Gibson was close behind with 9 points while dishing out 3 assists.
- Matelus led all scorers on the night for Elms with 17 points.
- Both teams struggled to get in the shooting grove, but Lesley held the advantage with a 31.1 FG% compared to Elms's 29.7%.
Marquise Johnson- 13 ppints, 7 rebounds, 2 steals
Will Gibson- 9 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
Greg Matelus- 17 points
Nikolas Brown- 8 points
This was the final regular season game for both teams. The NECC conference post season kicks off Tuesday February 20th with Lesley claiming the 4 seed and hosting Wheelock College at 8pm. Elms earned the 6 seed and will travel to Mitchell College.