Cambridge, Mass- The Lesley University Men's Basketball team powered from a 10-point deficit at the half to a 62-54 victory of Wheelock College in the first round of NECC playoffs. Lesley trailed by as much as fourteen points and earned their first lead of the game with just over five minutes left to play in regulation. With the win, Lesley earns a spot in the NECC Semi Final match and travels to the one seed, Southern Vermont on Thursday evening. The loss ends the Wildcat's season ending with a 4-11 record for the 2018 campaign.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Kiwane Crowder kicked off the scoring for the night draining a 3-pointer in the opening possession of the game for the Wildcats. Crowder followed back to two more scores, tallying his team's first 8 points to make it 8-6 with 13:45 left in the first half.
- Junior Joey Martin hit his first shot from down town to get the Lynx within one, 14-13.
- Both teams exchanged buckets, but the Wildcats never let the home team and higher seed take the lead.
- Dejuan Rodriguez sunk one from beyond the arc after a made lay up to get his team back to a six point cushion with 3:42 left in the half.
- Seven members of the Lesley squad chipped in towards their point total in the first half, with Jordan Belitti leading the pack with 6 points.
- Rodriguez led the Wilcats in the half with 15 points.
- Wheelock opened up the second half on two quick buckets to extend their lead to 14 points.
- Lesley began to show promise with plenty of time on the clock, sparked by senior Will Gibson sinking a 3-pointer to make it 41-38 in favor of Wheelock.
- Martin tied up the game at an even 41 a piece with 12:55 on the clock after hitting a deep three.
- Rodriguez continued to shine with back to back drives to the hoop and keep the visiting squad ahead by four.
- Martin worked the paint for Lesley's first lead of the night, 49-48 with 5:21 left on the clock.
- Senior duo Will Gibson and Marquise Johnson lead their team in the final stretch creating scoring opportunities and dishing assists to give Lesley the 57-50 lead, before the Wildcats were forced to surrender to fouling to extend the time.
- Lesley's pressure in the back court proved to be the difference forcing many turnovers in the final minutes of play. The Lynx held on for the 62-54 victory and a spot in the NECC semi final event.
- Belitti sparked the Lynx off the bench with 10 points in the second half, and 16 overall. Johnson was close behind with 12 points, while Martin recorded yet another double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Rodriguez led all scorers on the night with 21 points and 11 rebounds in the effort.
Jordan Belitti- 16 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
Marquise Johnson- 12 points
Dejaun Rodriguez-21 points, 11 rebounds
Kiwane Crowder- 14 points, 6 rebounds
Lesley travels to No. 1 Southern Vermont College on Thursday evening for the NECC Semi Final event.