Medford, Mass.—The Lesley men's basketball team earned their first win on the 2018 in a 93-80 victory over Anna Maria College in the non-conference clash Tuesday evening. The win improves the Lynx to 1-8 overall while the Amcats drop to 3-7.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Both teams exchanged buckets for the opening five minutes to keep it close. Lynx senior Joey Martin sunk back to back 3-pointers to during a 12-1 run to extend their lead 19-11, the biggest lead on the night for either side.
- Anthony Buckley put the Amcats within five off a three of his own, but Chase Howard answered in the next possession with the trey to keep momentum on the Lynx side and spark an offensive surge to extend their lead 35-21.
- Mike Rapoza revived the Amcats when he drove to the hoop and drew the foul for the three point play and sparked 10-3 run to get within seven, 38-31. The visitors then went on to end the half with an 11-2 run to enter the break trailing 47-44.
- Will Sgro, Treyvon Trent, Martin, and Genova combined for six threes in the opening five minutes of the second half to go up 69-55.
- Buckley helped Anna Maria get back in game with a three pointer to spark a 13-4 to bring the score to 80-76 with five minutes left in the game.
- Lesley responded with a dominating 12-0 run highlighted by Howard and Sgro to seal the eventual victory for the Lynx.
- Martin had a game high 25 points including four from downtown, while also grabbing 9 rebounds. Howard had a solid shooting performance with 23 points to help lead the Lynx.
- Trent and Sgro also had big nights for Lesley with 16 (Trent) and 13 (Sgro) points respectively.
- Rapoza collected a double-double for the Amcats with 15 points and 13 rebounds, while Bobby Perette had a team high 17 points.
Lesley returns to action after the holiday break January 5th at Saint Joseph's College of CT.