New London, Conn. – A first half outburst was too much for Lesley University Men's Basketball as Mitchell College came away with a conference victory, 93-70, Saturday afternoon at Yarnall Athletic Center. The Lynx slip to 1-12, 0-5 in conference, while the Mariners move up to 8-6, 3-3 in conference, on the season.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Mariners started the game on an 8-0 streak, forcing the Lynx into an early timeout at the 17:50 mark. The Lynx responded after the timeout hitting back to back threes from Chase Howard and Will Sgro.
- Lesley kept the first half close trading baskets with Mitchell, the advantage still with the home team 27-25 with 7:26 remaining in first.
- A Steffen Brunson jump shot at 7:03 for Mitchell sparked a 24-7 stretch to close the half, 51-32 Mitchell College. The Mariners shot 53.7% (22-41) in the opening period opposed to the Lynx 37.5% (12-32).
- The Mariners never relinquished their lead through the game as both teams went back-and-forth in the second half, the lead expanded to as many as 23 points in the late stage of second half.
- The Lynx kept the Mariners close in the second half as they held the Mariners to 42 points in the second frame while adding 38 points.
- However, the first half lead was to much for the Lynx with the game finishing 93-70 for the home team.
- Joey Martin led the way for Lesley recording 21 points and 6 rebounds. Chase Howard contributed 19 points while Treyvon Trent added 11 points.
- Mitchell's Domenico Santiago led all scorers with 30 points shooting 13-20 from the field and grabbing 17 boards, eighth double-double of the season for Santiago.
- Hansani Williams and Brunson also tacked on 18 points and 15 points respectively for Mitchell.
Lesley will next host Southern Vermont College Tuesday, January 15th, at 8:00PM in a NECC clash. Mitchell College are back on the court against Southern Vermont College Thursday, January 17th, at 6:00PM.