Medford, Mass.—An AJ Genova put back layup with seconds left to play, was enough for Lesley University Men's Basketball to earn first conference victory of the season, over Elms College, 66-65. The win propels the Lynx to an overall record of 2-17, 1-10 in conference. The Blazers fall to 3-18 on the season, 2-10 in the NECC.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Blazers took a lead early off a 16-6 stretch in the first eight and a half minutes. The Lynx played close the reminder of the first half but trailed going into the locker room 36-24.
- At the start of the second half, Elms expanded their lead to 14 points after a Justin Feliciano three-pointer at the 16:43 mark, 44-30 Elms. Lesley chipped away at the lead bringing it to nine points after a Genvoa three.
- Lesley went back and forth with Elms over the next few minutes, until a Lesley run. A Treyvon Trent layup sparked a 12-2 spurt knotting up the score at 57-57 with 5:06 to play. The Lynx eventually took their first lead of the game with 3:31 left after a Trent three.
- Each team traded baskets and free throws down the final stretch, but Elms took a late lead after a Kewan Smoot layup with 1:01 left to play. The Lynx had the ball with 23 tics on the clock to find a winner.
- With 1.9 seconds to play, Genvoa grabbed an offensive board and layed the ball into the hoop to give the Lynx the lead. A half court heave fell short for the Blazers as the Lynx came away with a 66-65 victory.
- Four Lynx reached double figures, two posted double-doubles in the contest. Chase Howard led the scoring with 22 points and 12 rebounds, Joey Martin recorded 15 points and 15 boards. Trent and Genova added 12 points and 10 points respectively.
- The Blazers were led by Kewan Smoot with 15 points, while D.J Edelen added 13 points off of the bench.
Lesley (2-17, 1-10) will next play at Eastern Nazarene College Saturday, February 2nd, at 3:00PM. Elms College (3-18, 2-10) are back on the court against Newbury College Wednesday, February 6th, with a tip off at 7:00PM.