Medford, Mass.—The Lesley University men's basketball team honored their four seniors, Xeo Golding, Joey Martin, Daniel O'Donnel, and Jordan Carter prior to hosting Newbury College Wednesday evening. The Lynx fell 88-70 to drop to 2-22 on the season and 1-14 in conference. The win improves Newbury to 10-13 on the year and 6-9 in NECC play.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Sophomore Chase Howard kicked off the scoring with a lay up of the tip off, followed by a trey in the following possession to give the Lynx a quick 5-0 lead.
- The Nighthawks quickly swung momentum over to the visitor side on a 12-0 run, to jump out 12-5 just over four minutes into the game.
- Lesley battled back, spearheaded by senior Joey Martin with five points in an 8-run to regain the lead, 13-12.
- Newbury jumped out to a 21-13 lead after a 9-0 run, and never let the Lynx get within five the rest of the way.
- With 3:53 left in the first half, Will Sgro sunk a shot from well beyond the arc to close the gap 34-29, with the Lynx trailing just by five. Buckets by Tank Roberson on the visitor side extended their lead to seven to close out the half 41-34.
- Both squads exchanged baskets in the opening few minutes of the second frame, but the Nighthawks extended their lead to 17 after an 8-0 run with 14 minutes still left to go.
- Despite a valiant effort by the Lynx, Newbury kept a comfortable 20 point lead the rest of the way to earn the 88-70 NECC conference victory.
- Tank Roberson led all scorers with 27 points in the victory for the Nighthawks. Pierce Weatherspoon added 13 points and 8 boards for Newbury.
- Chase Howard (18), Treyvon Trent (15), and Joey Martin (14) all registered double digit scoring nights to lead the Lynx. Martin also pounded the boards grabbing 12 rebounds to record a double-double in the loss.
Lesley travels to New England College on Saturday for their final game of the season.