PRESQUE ISLE, ME. -- The Lesley Men's Basketball team earned a hard fought win in their season opener, taking down UMaine-Presque Isle 101-99 on Saturday night. The Lynx open up at 1-0, while the Owls fall to 0-1.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- It was a tale of two halves in this game. The Owls were fully in control in the first half, taking a twenty point lead into halftime thanks to 21 points and 8 rebounds off the bench from Danyjoel Harris.
- The Lynx were able to turn things around in the second half, thanks to explosive performances from freshmen Gabe McCrary and Davion Fields. McCrary scored 22 of his total 35 points in the second half, shooting 50% from the field and making twelve of seventeen second half free throws attempts. Fields scored thirteen points off the bench in the second half, including two three pointers.
- Lesley had a massive free throw edge, getting to the line with ease in the second half. Forcing the Owls into foul trouble led to 28 second half free throw attempts. The Lynx made 20 of those, while the Owls could only make nine from the foul line in the second half.
- The Lynx outscored the Owls in the second half 57-35, erasing the halftime defecit and entering the final two minutes with a lead. A jumper from Fields with 1:29 left forced the Owls into playing the foul game for the rest of the game and McCrary was able to ice it with a made free throw with twelve seconds left. Harris missed a shot to give his team the lead in the final seconds.
- McCrary led the Lynx with 35 points and 9 rebounds, while Fields added 18 and 6 off the bench. Michael Langford finished with a double-double of 12 points and 12 rebounds. Harris was the leader for the Owls, scoring 25 points and securing 15 rebounds, while Gilber Jean scored 23.
The Lynx continue their Maine trip tomorrow, Sunday November 7, taking on UMaine-Fort Kent at 1 PM.