NEW LONDON, CT. -- The Lesley Men's Basketball team lost a hardfought battle against the Mitchell College Mariners 87-81 on Saturday afternoon. The Lynx fall to 2-17 overall and 0-4 in conference play, while the Mariners advance to 12-10 and 2-2 in the NECC.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynx got out in front in the first half, led by a 19 point performance by Gabe McCrary. Malachi Howard added eight first half points to start off a huge night, while the Lynx as a team shot a solid 42.9% in the first twenty minutes. Mitchell, meanwhile, struggled to get anything going on offense. The Mariners only shot 36.4% in the first half and only made one three-pointer.
- Jalen Benson ensured Mitchell would not fall too far behind, adding 18 points in the second half as his team got back in front. Benson and Robert Zirlis stretched a one point lead to a nine point lead with five minutes left before the Lynx battled back.
- Down eight with a minute and a half left, the Lynx were able to get a few points back at the free throw line. Technical fouls on the Mitchell team and on Mikey Buscetto led to Davion Fields sinking four straight free throws to cut the lead in half.
- Howard picked up two more points to cut the Mariner lead with forty-seven seconds left, but Mitchell was able to earn two free throws and a quick layup to get far enough ahead with too little time left for Lesley to get back in it.
- Howard was a dominant force on the boards in this one, collecting 17 rebounds (9 defensive and 8 offensive), while also adding 18 points. McCrary finished with 28 points, while Fields collected 18 points and fuor steals.
- Benson led his side with 22 points, while Zirlis had 12 and 7 off the bench. Alfonzo Stokes also delivered 12 bench points, while Jacob Tully added 13.
The Lynx head to New England College on Wednesday February 17th at 7 PM for their final road game of the regular season.