Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Lesley and Mass Maritime battle to 1-1 tie

Lesley and Mass Maritime battle to 1-1 tie

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Lesley University and Massachusetts Maritime Academy battled through two overtimes on Monday night and ended in a 1-1 tie after 110 minutes.  It was the first overtime game of the season for the Lynx as they were able to stick with a difficult MASCAC opponent.

Lesley struck first early in the first half as Beau Morimando (Bayshore, N.Y.) sent a chip shot past the Buccaneers defense near teammate Tyler Reeves (Coventry, Conn.).  Reeves sent the ball to the back of the net past Tim Meighan (East Bridgewater, Mass.) for the game's first goal.  It was Reeves' third goal and Morimando's first assist of the season.

Later in the half, Mass Maritime's Matt Patten (Weymouth, Mass.) sent a corner shot into the goalie box where freshman Kevin McCord (Norwell, Mass.) blasted home the game-tying score. 

The two teams went into halftime knotted at one goal a piece. 

For the next 65 minutes, Lesley and Mass Maritime had opportunities to score but defensively each team remained strong.  Lesley's Zachary Almeida-Beers (Rehoboth, Mass.) finished the game with seven saves while giving up just the one goal.  Mass Maritime split time at the keeper position as Meighan allowed the one goal without making a save and Corey Cameron (Westfield, Mass.) saved three shots in his time on the field.

With the tie, Lesley moves to 3-6-1 (1-0-0 NECC) while Mass Maritime goes to 2-7-1 (0-2-0 MASCAC). 

The Lynx will next face NECC foe Southern Vermont College on Saturday, October 4 at 12:30 pm.  The Buccaneers will travel to Newbury College on October 2 at 3:00 pm.

To learn more about the Lesley University men's soccer team, please visit their website.

Contact:          Rob Palardy
                        Sports Information Director
                        Lesley University
                        617.349.8627 (office)
                        617.349.8640 (fax)