Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Takano, Trucks fuel comeback effort for 1-1 tie

Takano, Trucks fuel comeback effort for 1-1 tie

CAMBRIDGE, MA – Nathan Trucks came off the bench for five saves over 65 minutes of shutout goalkeeping, and Jonathan Jones Takano netted Lesley the equalizer with 1:17 to play in regulation, as the Lynx and Mass Maritime tied after 110 minutes Saturday afternoon in non-conference men's soccer play.

            While Lesley responded with its back against the wall while trailing late in regulation, the Bucs didn't wait to commence the scoring. Mass Maritime's Hieu Nguyen (Weymouth, MA/Matignon) fielded a pass from Derek Young (Falmouth, MA/Falmouth) at 3:46 and fired a shot past Lesley's diving keeper  Nigel Leahy into the lower left corner of the net. The lead held through an evenly played first half in which each team put two shots on goal, with the Lynx totaling five shots to the Bucs three. Paul Vasconcelos' club earned all three of the period's corner kicks, but went into halftime facing a 1-0 deficit.

            With Trucks (Guilford, CT/Guilford) now inserted between the pipes for the Lynx, Mass Maritime sent off five of the second half's first seven shots, but Trucks was as steady as he's been all season, keeping the Bucs off the board and the Lynx in the game.

            Lesley's best opportunities of the frame came in the final 15 minutes on a pair of Ari Sinanis (Guilford, CT/Guilford) indirect kicks from just outside the goalkeeper's box, but the Lynx failed to get anything past Maritime goalkeeper Brett Young (Falmouth, MA/Falmouth) -- until urgency set in during the final ticks.

            Unable to capitalize on a corner kick with under two minutes to play, the Lynx earned a second corner lick, which Ryan Richardson delivered deep into the box with 1:21 to play. Four seconds later, Takano fielder the pass and sent a ball into the top left corner of the net for his first goal of the season, tying the game at 1-1.

             Though Mass Maritime accumulated three corner kicks in the first overtime alone, neither team posted serious scoring threats. Maritime outshout Lesley 3-0 in the overtime periods and 11-9 for the afternoon.

             Young made three saves in net for the Bucanneers, while Trucks came off the bench for five in his 65 minutes of work, upping his scoreless streak to 175 minutes to open the season.

            Lesley returns to action against the University of Maine-Farmington back at Edward Field on Sunday at 3:30 p.m.  Mass Maritime travels to WIT on Wednesday.