Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer, Emerson Tie; Lynx Reclaim Charles River Cup in PK's

Men's Soccer, Emerson Tie; Lynx Reclaim Charles River Cup in PK's

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Lesley University goalkeeper Chase Donley (Elizabethtown, Pa.) made a diving save from point blank with just three-seconds remaining in double overtime to preserve a 1-1 tie with Emerson College in the annual battle for the Charles River Cup. Emerson junior Alex Van Pelt (Pine Bush, N.Y.) corralled a rebound off the post and drilled a right-footed shot that was screaming for the far side of the net, but an outstretched Donley knocked the ball out of the box as the final buzzer sounded. The Lynx move to 2-3-2 on the season while the tie brings the Lions to a 1-1-3 mark in 2014.

The two teams moved on to penalty kicks to settle who will be the proprietor of the Cup for the next year, where the Lynx reclaimed ownership with a 2-1 edge in penalties.

Lesley sophomore Erik Johansen (West Harrison, N.Y.) got the scoring started in the 11th minute when he beat the Emerson backline as he sprinted down the right sideline and into the box before sending a right foot attempt inside the far post to take to give the hosts a 1-0 advantage.

The Lions tied it up in the 36th minute with a goal coming on the heels of a corner kick. Sophomore Evan Eubanks (St. Petersburg, Fla.) settled a loose ball and sent a blast from 30 yards out into the lower left corner of the goal for his first tally of the season.

The Lynx had the best chance to take a  2-1 lead in the second half as Johansen nearly netted his second of the game. The sophomore forward had a chance from ten yards out as he got his foot on a loose ball, but his shot sailed over the crossbar.

The Lions had two consecutive corner kick opportunities in the 80th minute of action, but were unable to capitalize.

With just twelve seconds remaining in regulation, Lynx sophomore Harrison Sidell (Newhall, Calif.) had a chance to end it as he forced a turnover for possession, but his shot from the top of the box floated over the crossbar and the teams headed into overtime.

Sidell opened up play in the first overtime period with another chance when he fired a shot off a bouncing ball, but Lion's keeper Carter Bowers (Gorham, Maine) was there to make the save to keep the game knotted at 1-1.

The Lions had a chance six minutes into extra time with back-to-back corner kicks, but the Lesley backline held strong to nullify any scoring opportunity.

The Lynx will have a ten-day layoff between games as they next return to the pitch for New England Collegiate Conference play on Saturday, September 27th when they travel to Southern Vermont College for a 3:00p start.