Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Two Late Goals Downs Men's Soccer vs. Wentworth

Two Late Goals Downs Men's Soccer vs. Wentworth

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Wentworth Institute of Technology senior Erik Shaw (Hooksett, N.H.) and junior Max Hilchuk (Wethersfield, Conn.) scored just 1:13 apart in the final eight minutes of play to propel the Leopards to a 3-1 victory in non-conference action on a rain soaked night at Edward Field. With the win, Wentworth improves to 4-3-3 on the season while the Lynx fall to 2-4-3 in 2014.

Shaw netted what proved to be the game winner when his right-footed strike from 20 yards out screamed into the top right corner of the goal in the 83rd minute of play for his second tally of the season. Sophomore Alec Watkinson (Merrimack, N.H.) was credited with the assist on the play. Hilchuk quickly followed with the dagger as he deposit his fifth goal of the season on a feed from Shaw at 84:04.

Lesley junior Ryan Richardson (Santa Barbara, Calif.) registered the lone goal for the Lynx as he found the back of the net following a free kick from senior Jordan Santos (Middlebury, Conn.) at 63:19. Richardson got himself free in the box before settling the Santos cross and sending a shot into the lower left corner for his second marker of the season.

Wentworth's Gaston Cetrangolo (Easton, Mass.) got the scoring going as he gave the Leopards the lead in just the second minute of action. The freshman midfielder found himself all alone on the right side of the box as he one-timed a feed from junior Sam Martins (Dartmouth, Mass.) for the first goal in his collegiate career.

Sophomore Billy Baker (Sacramento, Calif.) nearly put the Lynx on the board in the 30th minute of action when he carried to the top of the box and unleashed a rocket from 20 yards out that sailed just north of the crossbar.

Lesley's best opportunity of the first 45 minutes came late in the half as junior Spencer Irwin (Somers, N.Y.) got his head on a ball off a free kick from senior Jordan Santos (Middlebury, Conn.), but Irwin's attempt was corralled by Wentworth keeper Alec Boyle (Shirley, Mass.) for his lone save of the half.

The Lynx were first to threaten after the break as they coupled a pair of scoring opportunities in the 52 minute. Santos sent a drive from 35 yards out that forced Boyle to make a leaping save as he tipped over the net for a corner kick. Moments later, Irwin sent a cross into the Wentworth penalty area that found the head of junior Ryan Garcia (North Stonington, Conn.), but his attempt went just right of the nearside post.

The Leopards answered with a chance of their own as Martins put a shot on net off a free kick that was saved by Lynx keeper Chase Donley (Elizabethtown, Pa.). Wentworth had a pair of point-blank chances off the rebound, but Donley blocked both attempts diving to his left to keep the match tied at 1-1.

The Leopards outshot the Lynx by a 16-8 margin, including an 11-3 advantage in the second half. Wentworth also held a 7-2 edge in corner kicks on the night.

Both teams will be back in action on Saturday as the Lynx will play host to Regis College at 1:00p while Wentworth will welcome Eastern Nazarene College at 12:00p.