CAMBRIDGE, MA. -- The Lesley men's soccer team fought through a rainy and physical match to earn a 4-1 win over the non-conference Rivier Raiders. The tough win puts the Lynx at 5-7 on the season, while the Raiders fall to 1-11-1.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynx were put on alert early in the match, with Rivier pressuring for the first twenty minutes. The Raiders had four of the first five shots of the game, but goalie Patrick Corcoran kept them off the board, along with two defensive saves by Ben Heischuber and Andrew Medeiros.
- When the Lynx were able to turn the tide, it didn't take them long at all to score. Jack Wadleigh got his seventh goal of the season off a pass threaded from the left corner by Daniel Monteserin to put Lesley up 1-0. Monteserin earned his first assist on the score.
- The skies opened up for the end of the first half, but Lesley was undeterred. They kept pushing and outshot Rivier 8-6 in the half.
- The game got physical after the first half, with the first of many cards coming only three minutes into the second half. Rivier's Cam Holdsworth earned a yellow for a hard foul.
- Monteserin continued his strong night in the 62nd minute, scoring his first goal of the season and extending the Lynx lead to 2-0. The score came after a collision between Rivier goalie Collin Deyarmin and Lesley's Shane Rockenbach left the net open, just as the ball deflected off Deyarmin to Monteserin.
- Wadleigh earned a yellow card for himself in the 68th minute as the hard play for both sides continued.
- The Lynx scored again after a corner from Wadleigh found Tiago Pacheco's head and hit the back of the net. Pacheco earned his second goal of the season and the Lynx jumped ahead 3-0 as the rain continued.
- Lesley's lead moved out to 4-0 thanks to Anthony Farago's first goal of the season.
- With time running down, Rivier put a goal on the board when a wet ball took a bad bounce off a punch-out attempt by Lynx goalie Oscar Guzman. The ball hit off of Guzman's fist back into the net, counting as an own goal.
- As the game drew near completion, the physicality didn't let up. A hard foul by Rivier's Peter Manzelli provoked a physical reaction from Heischuber that led to him earning a red card. Manzelli was issued a yellow for the initial foul, but Heischuber was not allowed to finish out the game's final minute.
- Corcoran earned the win for the Lynx, saving the only shot sent his way and advancing to 1-2 on the season. The loss went to Deyarmin, who fell to 1-11.
The Lynx hope for better weather for an afternoon match with Elms College on Saturday October 12th at 3 PM.