CAMBRIDGE, MA. -- The Lesley men's soccer team defeated the Elms Blazers 2-0 on Thursday night to advance to the Men's NECC Championship match. The win brings the Lynx to 9-9 overall on the season, while the Blazers finish their season at 5-11-4.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynx had to brave the rain again, as the weather refused to cooperate. Both teams were competitive on the defensive end all night, as each offense was limited in their opportunities.
- Elms had an opporunity squandered by Tiago Pacheco, who saved a header from Michael Lemke off a corner kick to keep the game tied.
- The Lynx struck first, as Jack Wadleigh scored his twelfth goal of the season in the 28th minute. Daniel Monteserin threaded a pass to Wadleigh, who moved around a defender and took a shot that bounced off the far post and snuck in behind Blazers goalie Julian Brosi.
- Shots were hard to come by for both teams, as Lesley only took five in the first half and Elms took three. Pacheco, Ben Heischuber, and Max Fereira were successfully able to keep the Blazers from getting too deep in their zone.
- The defensive stalemate held for most of the second half, until Shane Rockenbach sent a corner kick to the far post and AJ Genova headed it in for his second goal this season. Rockenbach earned his second assist on the corner and the Lynx took a 2-0 lead.
- The lead would hold, though Elms took soem chances. They continuously pushed the pace and had the Lynx working hard, but the defense was able to contain key players for the Blazers.
- Heischuber and Genova shadowed Babba Jaden, the second leading scorer in the NECC, and kept him to one shot on the night.
- David Crutchfield earned the win for the Lynx, saving two shots and earning his fourth shutout this season. Brosi took the loss for Elms after letting in two of three shots.
The Lynx look to complete their title run on Sunday evening at 5:30 PM. They will be taking on the third seeded Eastern Nazarene College at Hormell Stadium in Medford, MA.