Cambridge, Mass- The Lesley University men's volleyball team fell in their season opener, 3-0, at Mount Ida College on Wednesday evening. The Lynx showed promising improvement throughout the match with set scores of 25-5, 25-12, then 25-13. The experienced Mustang squad improved to 6-5 overall with the win, while Lesley opens their 2018 campaign 0-1.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Mount Ida opened the match on a 4 point lead, taking advatage of the Lynx mishits.
- Lesley got on the board off a kill from John Gersbeck, but 8 service aces in a row from Brett Southworth gave the Mustangs a 13-1 lead.
- Lesley was able to get just 4 more points on the board before the home team closed out the first set.
- The Lynx went up 3-2 in the second set off a kill from Steven Newman. The early lead showed much improvement for the Lynx, but the Mustangs came right back 6 unanswered points behind kills from Isaac Reed.
- Lesley was able to get within 3 points, trailing 14-11 by capitalizing on Mount Ida miscues and force a Mustang time out.
- The Lynx were unable to keep their momentum, while the home team put on the pressure and were on their way to the second set win 25-12.
- Lesley continued to show improvement through the third set scoring the most points of the night in the final set. The more experience Mount Ida team closed the match on a 25-13 victory.
- Wiliam Sgro led Lesley with 3 kills and 1 dig, while Gersbeck helped set his team up with 7 assists and 3 digs.
Lesley travels to Chicopee, Mass. on Saturday, February 24th to square off with Elms in a NECC clash on February 24th beginning at 1:00 p.m.