Chicopee, Mass: The men's volleyball team was defeated 3-0 in their first conference game of the season at Western Massachussets school Elms College on Friday, February 23. The Blazers claimed the three sets 25-8, 25-6, 25-10. Lesley is now 0-2 overall and 0-1 in the NECC while Elms College are well into their season and currently stand at 10-3 with a perfect 4-0 record in conference games. All seven players on the Lynx roster featured in this conference clash.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Freshman Armando Bahena scored with a service ace for Lesley while teammates John Gersbeck and Colin Holter both got on the scoresheet for the away team in the first set. Lesley's other points in the opening set consisted of service errors (two), attack errors (two) and a bad set.
- Elms' longest streak in the first set was nine points which included five kills. Middle hitter Jake Johnson got two of the five kills for the Blazers.
- Elms' continued to control the contest in the second set as they hit nine unanswered points before the run was brought to an end with a Steven Newman kill.
- John Gersbeck claimed two kills for Lesley in the second quarter, the second of which left the Lynx trailing by 14-4. Elms effectively sealed another set as they went nine points unanswered, a spell that included four service aces.
- Steven Newman and freshman William Sgro both contributed one kill to Lesley's tally in the second set, which they lost in the end by 19 points.
- Lesley improved in the third quarter and were just 10-7 adrift when setter Karuna Chiemruom scored with a service ace.
- Following Cheimruom's service ace, the Blazers surged clear due to a number of four point runs. The home team claimed the final set by 15 points.
- John Gersbeck and Armando Bahena both contributed two kills to Lesley's tally in the final set of the conference game.
Lesley welcomes Dean College to Nicholas Athletic Center for a conference game on Wednesday, February 28 at 8pm. Elms College travel to New York state on Tuesday, February 27 to play Vassar College at 7pm.