Quincy, MA: Eastern Nazarene College proved too strong for visitors Lesley University as the Quincy school claimed the conference victory 3-0 on Saturday, March 3. The first set was the most competitive of all as the Lions came out on top by 25-13. The home team were more convincing in the remaining two sets which they won 25-2 and 25-8. Lesley's record for the 2018 season is now 0-5 overall and 0-3 in conference while Eastern Nazarene have now played 15 games and have a record of 8-7 and 3-2 in the NECC.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Lesley were tied with their opponents twice in the early exchanges at one and two points each. John Gersbeck scored the Lynx's first kill in the game, which left them only 5-4 behind.
- A key segment of the first set immediately followed as Eastern Nazarene scored nine unanswered points to go ten points clear. Senior Kenny Sorensen scored with two service aces and a kill during the Lions hot streak.
- Connecticut native Alexander Genova gained a kill from a Karuna Chiemruom set but the remainder of Lesley's scores in the opening set consisted of service errors (four), attack error (three) and a bad set as Eastern Nazarene claimed the opening set by 12 points.
- The home team went on an eight and a 16 point run in the second set which helped them cruise into a 2-0 lead. Lesley only mustered two points in the second set from a Cesar Neves kill and an attack error from Eastern Nazarene's Matthew Tyree.
- Brandon Jenkins scored seven service aces for Eastern Nazarene during their 16 point streak in the second quarter.
- Freshman William Sgro scored with a kill to snap the Lions five point run at the beginning of the third quarter.
- Eastern Nazarene's James Garofalo was guilty of an attack error which left them leading by 6-2. Garofalo responded by helping his side claim the next six points in the set which included two service aces.
- Alexander Genova and Cesar Neves managed to gain kills in near succession with Neves' kill leaving Jim Ray's side 16-7 behind in the third set.
- Lesley only managed one further point in the game from a James Garofalo attack error as Eastern Nazarene claimed the third and final set by 17 points.
Lesley host Brookline school Newbury College on Wednesday, March 7 at 8pm.