Boston, MA: Lesley University were defeated in straight sets, 25-6, 25-6, 25-12, by California Lutheran University on Sunday, March 25. The result leaves Lesley with a 0-7 record while California Lutheran, whose campaign began on January 7, hold a 14-8 record.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- California Lutheran were the quickest off the mark with four unanswered points including two service aces from Brendan Ward. Ward was then guilty of an attack error which resulted in Lesley's first point of the contest.
- The Lynx remained in touch briefly in the opening set with a John Gersbeck kill leaving them just 6-3 adrift. However, a nine point run from the Kingsmen that included three kills from Brendan Ward and two from Jacob Sosa gave California Lutheran total command of the opening set.
- John Gersbeck contributed Lesley's only other kill of the first set after being teed up by Karuna Chiemruom. Lesley's other two points came from attack errors from Lutheran's Andrew McFarlane and Kelly Jew.
- The teams were tied twice in the second set at one and two points each. Freshman William Sgro scored with a kill for Lesley during this early period while their other point came from an Andrew McFarlane attack error.
- The Kingsmen pushed clear in the second set with four and five point streaks that were only kept apart by another Andrew McFarlane attack error. The two runs gave Lutheran a 12-3 advantage. The second set score was exactly the same as the opening set with the Lynx's remaining three points coming from John Gersbeck and William Sgro kills and a Brendan Ward attack error.
- Lesley managed to take the lead for the first time in the game in the third set with a John Gersbeck service ace which gave the Lynx a 2-1 lead. Jim Ray's team built momentum in the third set with a four point streak which enabled them to go 8-6 ahead.
- Lutheran fought back to turn the scoreboard around in their favour as they look a 14-11 lead. At that stage, Lesley still had realistic hopes of extending the game to a fourth set. However, Lutheran were not interested in the game lasting much longer and finished strongly with seven and four point streaks whilst only conceding one further point; a Alexander Genova kill.
- John Gersbeck was Lesley's most effective player as the middle hitter posted three kills and a service ace.