Boston, MA: Emmanuel College proved too strong for Lesley University on Sunday, March 25 claiming the victory in straight sets; 25-9, 25-6, 25-10. The result leaves Lesley still in search of their first win of 2018 with their record now at 0-8 while Emmanuel holds a 10-13 record.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- The teams were tied just once in the opening set at 1-1 when Emmanuel College's John Carroll was guilty of conceding a point with an attack error. Following Alexander Genova's kill for Lesley from a Karuna Chiemruom assist, Emmanuel found their scoring groove with a five point streak to advance 9-2 clear.
- Lesley's longest streak of the set immediately followed as they scored three points in a row which included a kill by Steven Newman.
- The Lynx still held slim hopes of claiming the opening set when an attack error by Emmanuel's John Carroll left them 15-8 behind. From that point on, the Saints did not show any complacency as they secured the opening set with a six and a four point streak.
- Genova claimed Lesley's first point of the second set after Emmanuel opened with three points of their own. A crucial period of the second set followed as Emmanuel embarked on a 10 point streak to go 13-1 up. Emmanuel's Erik English scored six service aces during the 10 point run.
- Three of Lesley's remaining five scores in the second set came from John Gersbeck kills. Emmanuel had 19 points to spare in securing the second set of the contest.
- The opening stages of the third set were competitive as Lesley only trailed 6-3. Colin Holter scored with a kill for Lesley during this period. Emmanuel pushed clear thereafter with a six point run to go up 12-3 and cruised to the 25-10 victory.
- Lesley managed eight kills in total through John Gersbeck (four), Alexander Genova (two), Steven Newman and Colin Holter.
Lesley hosts Eastern Nazarene College at Nicholas Athletic Center in a conference game on Tuesday, March 27 at 8pm.