Bennington, VT: Lesley was defeated by hosts Southern Vermont College in both of their double header meetings on Saturday, April 8. The Mountaineers won the opening contest 25-16, 25-8 and 26-24. In the second game, Southern Vermont came out on top 25-16, 25-13, 25-13. Lesley remains winless on the season slipping to 0-16 overall and 0-10 in conference while Southern Vermont is 2-18 in 2018 and 2-10 in the NECC.
GAME 1- INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley made an encouraging start to the opening game of the day as they took a narrow 4-3 lead in the first set. Amongst the early scores was a service ace from Karuna Chiemruom and a Alexander Genova kill.
- Both teams went on a number of long streaks in the first set. Lesley put together two four point runs while Southern Vermont had two six point streaks and crucially a five point run at the conclusion to go 1-0 up in the game.
- The Lynx scored with five more kills in the set from Genova (two), John Gersbeck (two) and Cesar Neves.
- Freshman Genova added another kill to his personal tally at the beginning of the second set as the Lynx trailed 3-2. Soon, the hosts took full command of the second set with an 11 point run to shoot 14-2 clear.
- A Neves kill for the Lynx stalled the home team's momentum briefly before they embarked on a five point streak to increase their winning advantage to claim the second set.
- The Lynx made a magnificent start to the third set as they took a 9-5 lead. Gersbeck and Neves played a major role in Lesley taking this lead as Gersbeck scored three kills and Neves was successful with two service aces and a kill.
- The Mountaineers put together four scores in a row to tie the game before the Lynx restored their lead due to a Southern Vermont attack error.
- Lesley managed to stretch their winning margin to three, 15-12, following a brace of kills each from Neves and Genova.
- The teams were tied on three more occasions in the third set at 16 all, 18 all and 24 apiece when Genova tied the game with a kill. Despite their best efforts, Lesley was unable to prolong the game as Southern Vermont added the next two points to take the set 26-24 and also the first game of the conference double-header.
GAME 2-INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Southern Vermont was quickest off the marks in the second game of the day between the sides as they opened with a 5-1 lead. Cesar Neves was Lesley's solitary point scorer from a Karuna Chiemruom assist.
- The Lynx improved as the set progressed as they narrowed the deficit to just one point, 9-8. Central to Lesley's recovery was two John Gersbeck kills who also added a service ace and a Alexander Genova kill.
- The Lynx was still in reach of winning the opening set when Genova scored with a kill from a Chiemruom assist to leave Lesley 17-14 behind. However, Southern Vermont tagged on the next five points and would close out the set to go 1-0 up.
- The teams were tied on six occasions early in the third set until a Chiemruom kill from a Gersbeck assist gave Lesley an 8-7 lead. Soon, Southern Vermont completely took over with 12 unanswered points to 19-8 up.
- Lesley added five more points in the remainder of the set which included an Armando Bahena service ace and kills from Genova and Gersbeck.
- Lesley remained five down in the final set when a Southern Vermont ball handling error left the home team 12-7 in front. The Mountaineers responded with six unanswered points and also a four point run after to take the third and final set by 12 points.
Lesley travels to face Endicott College in a conference double-header on Monday, April 9 with the games taking place at 7 and 8pm.