FINAL DAY OVERVIEW:
North Myrtle Beach, SC-- The Lesley University softball team fell 1-2 on their final day of the Fastpitch Dreams Tournament. Lesley opened up the morning falling to Sarah Lawrence 4-3, then closed out the trip in a 11-1 loss against Spalding University. The 6-5 win on the day saw an exciting back and forth extra inning battle that ended in walk-off fashion in the bottom of the ninth against reneigning Upper Midwest Athletic Conference Champions, The College of St. Scholastica. The Lynx ended their spring training trip with a 5-3 overall record.
GAME 1 vs Sarah Lawrence:
- Lesley got on board in the opening inning as Junior Ashleigh Acker ripped a double in the right center gap to score freshman Riley Pickett.
- Junior Jordan Raab lead off the top of the second with a single and then stole second base to get into scoring position. Classmate Abby Henderson advanced Raab to third on a single to right field and then advanced to second base on the throw.
- Stephanie Schofield scored Raab on a deep sacrifice fly to left, which moved Henderson to third. Sophomore Juliana Cecere executed a perfect bunt to score Henderson for the early 3-0 lead for the Lynx.
- Sarah Lawrence began to launch their comeback in the bottom of the third off a 2-out 2-RBI from Baylie Petit.
- The Gryphons tied the game 3-3 in the fourth off a double to left from Mackenzie Mindish. Another 2-out single Taryn Penna gave Sarah Lawrence the 4-3 lead at the end of the fourth.
- The Lynx offense fell short the remainder of the game only scattering 5 hits in the loss.
GAME 2 vs St. Scholastica:
- The Lynx earned the 9 inning victory in the bottom frame with Stephanie Schofield claiming the walk off hit scoring 2 runs for the 6-5 victory.
- St. Scholastica got on the board in the top of the first with a 2-out double from Maggie Schley scoring Hannah Thul.
- Freshman pitcher Jordan Day struck out the side in the top of the second, then scored a run for the Lynx in the bottom half to tie the game 1-1.
- The Saints came back in the top half of the frame to take a 2-1 lead, and added an insurance run in the top of the fifth.
- Despite getting runners on base in the next three innings, Lesley was unable to push any runs across taking a 3-1 deficit into the bottom of the seventh inning. Freshman Riley Pickett reached on a 1 out single to get Lesley the momentum needed to tie the game. With two outs junior Jordan Raab singled up the middle to score Pickett from third and advance Day to second. Junior Abby Henderson followed up with a single through the left side to score pinch runner Theresa Pereira from second and take the game into extra innings at 3-3.
- Both teams were able to score a run in the eighth inning to push the game into the ninth. The saints squeezed in front 5-4, but the Lynx prevailed scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the ninth for the thrilling 6-5 victory.
- Day lead off the inning with a single and moved Ashleigh Acker to third base. Day advanced to second on a Raab grounder to short stop and the Lynx had two outs with runners on second and third. Schofield lined a ball that dropped in front of the right fielder to score Acker and Day on a close play at the plate for the win.
- Day led the Lynx going 4-4 at the plate with 2 runs scored, and pitched the complete 9 innings striking out 9 only allowing 5 hits.
GAME 3 vs Spalding:
- Spalding jumped to a 7-0 lead at the bottom of the first off 7 hits.
- The Lynx scored their lone run of the game in the top of the second off an RBI double from Jordan Day.
- Freshman pitcher Tallin Goldberg kept the Golden Eagles off balance in the second and third innings, but the Lynx offense couldn't string hits together for the run support.
- Spalding tacked on 4 more runs in the bottom of the fourth to secure an 11-1 win in five innings.
- Goldberg recorded her first career strikeout in the loss.