Chicopee, Mass- The Lynx softball team opened up their NECC Conference slate with a pair of wins over Elms College Saturday afternoon. Lesley claimed the first game 4-2, then powered through the second game in a 9-0 victory to improve to 7-3 overall. With the loss the Blazers slip to 3-7 and drop to 0-2 in NECC play.
GAME 1-INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley got on the board first in the top of the third for a 2-0 lead. Junior Ashleigh Acker hit a two out single to left field, followed by back to back RBI doubles from Riley Pickett and Jordan Day for the early lead.
- The Blazers cut the deficit in half off an RBI from Madison Messier in the bottom of the fourth.
- Senior Courtney Goggin answered back in the top half of the fifth with a solo blast to left field and gave momentum back over to the Lynx. The freshman combo of Pickett and Day struck again to give Lesley a 4-1 lead mid way through the fifth.
- The Blazers worked their way to bases loaded with one out and scraped one run across off a walk. Lesley flashed the leather on defense to stop the threat and got out of the bases loaded jam with a double play and earn the eventual 4-2 victory in game one.
GAME 2-INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley took a 3-run lead in the top of the first off a 3-run blast from freshman Jordan Day. The Lynx extended their lead by two in the second off three, two out doubles in a row off the bats of Courtney Goggin, Ashleigh Acker, and Riley Pickett for a 5-0 lead half way through the second inning.
- Freshman ace Jordan Day pitched a gem, keeping the Blazers hitless through five innings. Elms threaten in the sixth, but the Lynx defense shut them down when they turned a single to right with a runner on first into a double play.
- Day smoked her second 3-run long ball of the game in the top of the seventh to extend the Lesley lead to 9-0 and shut down the Blazer's offense in the bottom of the seventh to earn the conference sweep.
- Freshman pitcher Jordan Day pitched 2 complete game victories, tossing all 14 innings and striking out 16 on the day. Offensively she went 4-7 with 8 RBI's and 2 HR's.
- Freshman Riley Pickett hit .500 with 3 doubles in the two games.
- Senior Courtney Goggin hit her first long ball on the season.
- The Lesley offense out hit the Blazers 18-7 on the day.
"I'm proud of how well we worked together today on the field," said senior Courtney Goggin. "Everyone was involved from the top to bottom of the line up and it was great to have everyone contribute in two big conference wins."
Lesley next travels to Emerson College on Tuesday March 27 for a non-conference double header beginning at 3pm.