Boston, MA: The Lesley University softball team split with UMass Boston in a non-conference double header Thursday, April 12. After losing the opening game in extra innings 6-5, the Lynx didn't leave anything for chance and walked away with a 10-1 victory in a shortened 5 innings game. With the split, Lesley sits at an overall record of 11-9, while the Beacons are 9-15 overall in 2018.
GAME 1- INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- After a blank first three innings, Lesley gained the first run at the top of the fourth. Senior Theresa Pereira moved two runners with a bunt single, including Jordan Raab earning the first Lynx run.
- Courtney Goggin increased the Lynx's lead at the top of the fifth following freshman Jordan Day's single up the middle. Kristen DiCicco followed with a two out, two RBI double to give Lesley a 4-0 lead.
- At the top of the sixth, shortstop Ashleigh Acker smacked a solo shot to put the Lynx up by 5 runs heading into the bottom of the sixth.
- By the end of the sixth inning, UMass managed to tie the game up at 5-5, before freshman reliever Tallin Goldberg came in with the bases loaded and shut down the Beacon's from scoring anymore.
- Following a scoreless seventh and eighth inning, UMass completed their comeback and sealed victory in the bottom of the ninth with an RBI single from Alyssa Tulley.
- Ashleigh Acker led the offense going 3-5 with a homerun, while Theresa Pereira went 2-3.
- Jordan Raab chipped in with a hit and two runs scored.
- Freshman ace Jordan Day recorded her 100th strikeout on the season in the first inning.
GAME 2- INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- UMass Boston took the lead at the bottom of the first when Taylor Pawlina hit a sacrifice fly to right field.
- Lesley claimed revenge early plating 6 runs in the top of the second and had lock down defense and pitching to keep the Beacons from scoring the rest of the way.
- The Lynx had great at bats from Abby Henderson earning a bases loaded walk, Courtney Goggin with an RBI fielder's choice, and Ashleigh Acker with a sacrifice fly. Riley Pickett and Jordan Day followed up with back to back hits to the outfield to complete the 6-run second inning.
- Back to back doubles from Day and Jordan Raab in the fourth plated three more runs for Lesley, giving them a 9-1 lead. In the fifth and final inning, Henderson scored Lesley's 10th run of the contest following Goggin's ground out to the UMass Boston shortstop.
- Reliever Tallin Goldberg came into the bottom of the fifth inning with two runners on and retired the next two batters to secure the game two victory and the split.
- Riley Pickett went 2-2 with a walk and 2 runs scored.
- Jordan Day went 2-3 with 2 doubles and 4 RBI's, and Jordan Raab went 2-3 with a double and an RBI.
- Day earned her 11th win on the year pitching 4.1 innings of work with 6 strikeouts.
Lesley is back on their conference slate on Saturday April 14th hosting Mitchell College at St. Peter's Field in Cambridge with the first pitch at 5pm