Cambridge, MA: Lesley split a conference double-header with Connecticut school Mitchell College at St Peter's Field on Saturday, April 14. Lesley claimed the opening game, consisting of just five innings, 8-0. Mitchell, from New London, responded to take a high-scoring second game 17-12. The second contest was played over the regular seven innings. Lesley are now 12-10 overall in 2018 and hold a 5-1 record in the NECC. The Mariners move to 9-13 overall in this campaign and 5-3 in conference.
GAME 1-INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- At the bottom of the third inning, shortstop Ashleigh Acker hit a double to center field for an RBI with Courtney Goggin the player making it back to home base.
- Ashleigh Acker scored Lesley's second run in the same frame after an RBI by Riley Pickett who advanced to second base on the throw.
- The Lynx added five runs in the bottom of the fourth. Catcher Juliana Cecere scored an unearned run on a passed ball. Courtney Goggin claimed an RBI with a groundout to the Mitchell shortstop which resulted in Abby Henderson landing on third base and senior Theresa Pereira scoring Lesley's fourth run of the contest.
- Abby Henderson contributed with an unearned run after an Ashleigh Acker RBI who advanced to second base on the throw. Acker became Lesley's sixth run scorer after a Jordan Day single for an RBI.
- Jordan Day then made it all the way back to home in the fourth following junior Jordan Raab's double to center field for an RBI.
- Juliana Cecere claimed her second run at the bottom of the fifth and final inning following senior Courtney Goggin's RBI with a single to center field.
- Shortstop Ashleigh Acker finished with two hits and two runs.
- Pitcher Jordan Day finished the opening game with six strikeouts.
GAME 2-INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Lesley started strongest in game two with three runs at the bottom of the second inning. Courtney Goggin singled to left field for two RBI's with Theresa Pereira and Juliana Cecere the beneficiaries of Goggin's strike from the home plate.
- Courtney Goggin made it 3-0 to Lesley in the second after a Riley Pickett RBI who advanced to second base on the throw.
- At the bottom of the third, junior Abby Henderson singled to center field for two RBI's with left fielder Kristen DiCicco and first base Jordan Raab crossing the home plate.
- Mitchell responded well in the top of the fourth inning with five runs to tie the game. Their runs came from Taylor Duchesneau, Danielle Autieri, Shyla Phillips-Krick, Megan Elphick and Reanna Clark.
- The Lynx reclaimed the lead at the bottom of the fourth when Jordan Raab grounded out to third base for a sacrifice fly and an RBI with Jordan Day running for home.
- The Mariners put in a superb performance at the top of the fifth with eight runs including three RBI's at the end of the frame from catcher Danielle Autieri.
- Lesley got back to within three, 13-10, following their offensive plays in the fifth inning. Riley Pickett singled to center field for two RBI's with shortstop Ashleigh Acker and center fielder Courtney Goggin claiming unearned runs.
- Riley Pickett also scored an unearned run in the same inning after Jordan Raab managed to reach first base following an error by the Mitchell shortstop. Jordan Day scored Lesley's fourth unearned run of the frame as a result of batter Kristen DiCicco reaching first base due to an error by the Mariners center fielder.
- The visiting team added four runs, all RBI's, in the top of the sixth inning. The RBI's were a result of three singles and one fly out.
- At the bottom of the sixth, Abby Henderson scored an unearned run following Ashleigh Acker's triple to center field for an RBI.
- Lesley tagged on just one further run in the bottom of the seventh and final inning to get to within five of Mitchell. Patricia Muratore bunted out to the Mariners pitcher for an RBI with Jordan Raab ending up scoring her second run of the game.
- In four innings, pitcher Jordan Day struck out eight Mitchell batters.
- Riley Pickett, Jordan Day and Kristen DiCicco all managed three hits.
- Riley Pickett led the Lynx in the RBI category with three.
Lesley travel to play Endicott College in a non-conference double-header in Beverly, MA on Wednesday, April 18 with the action getting underway at 3pm.