Brookline, MA: Lesley made a huge comeback to defeat Newbury College after extra innings in their conference game on Sunday, April 29. The Lynx were 7-1 down at the end of the fourth inning but showed determination to come back and go 8-7 ahead by the top of the seventh. The game required three extra innings with Kristen DiCicco and Juliana Cecere scoring the last two vital runs for Lesley in the 10th and final inning. Lesley lost the previous meeting between the sides on Tuesday, April 24. Newbury won on that occasion 15-7 after five innings.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Lesley took the lead at the top of the first inning in when Riley Pickett hit an RBI double to score leadoff batter Courtney Goggin.
- At the bottom of the third, Newbury took command of the contest. Averi Johnson's run tied the game following Alexis Vieira's RBI as she reached first on a fielder's choice.
- The Nighthawks added three more runs in the third to go 4-1 up including Elizabeth Duanys double for two RBI's.
- The home team increased their winning margin at the bottom of the fourth. Noelle Sass and Averi Johnson crossed the home plate after Arianna Gooden's double for two RBI's. Arianna Gooden scored Newbury's seventh run in the same inning following Samantha Libby's single for an RBI.
- The Lynx clawed back at Newbury's lead at the top of the fifth. Abby Henderson and Theresa Pereira reached home on the back of Ashleigh Acker's double for two RBI's.
- Ashleigh Acker became a run scorer after Jordan Raab grounded out to the Newbury shortstop for an RBI, a score which left Lesley only 7-5 behind.
- Lesley reclaimed the lead at the top of the seventh when Jordan Day homered for three RBI's with Riley Pickett (unearned) and Ashleigh Acker scoring from the massive hit.
- Newbury tied the game for the second time at the bottom of the seventh. Alexis Vieira's ground out to first base for an RBI meant that the conference game was heading into extra innings.
- Lesley went one up at the top of the eight when Kristen DiCicco scored following Courtney Goggin's sacrifice fly for an RBI.
- Newbury tied the game once again at the bottom of the eight when Samantha Libby scored an unearned run after Averi Johnson secured an RBI with a walk.
- At the top of the 10th, Lesley secured two crucial runs as Juliana Cecere scored due to an Abby Henderson sacrifice fly for an RBI while Kristen DiCicco scored an unearned run due to an error by the Newbury right fielder.
- Samantha Libby scored an unearned run for Newbury at the bottom of the 10th but it was not enough to force extra innings as Lesley held on to win by the minimum.