Fort Myers, FL - Lesley University softball continued its success in Fort Myers, Florida on Wednesday afternoon. Lesley started the day with close a 10-8 victory over Wilmington College (OH.), followed by a late rally to win versus Blackburn College, 5-1. The Lynx boost their record to 5-3, Wilmington (OH.) fall to 5-2, while Blackburn drop to 3-6.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) continued her hot hitting from Florida with a two-run homer in the top of the first, following a Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT) single. This gave the Lynx an early 2-0 lead.
- After the Quakers took the lead with three runs in the bottom of the third, the Lynx responded of six runs of their own. With two outs, Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) singled to left to score Kristen DiCicco (Wantagh, N.Y.). Pickett then drove home Medina and Lindsey Jensen (Milton, MA.) with a double into the right field.
- Following a walk by Day, Ashleigh Acker (Apopka, FL.) reached on an error, which brought home Pickett. Jordan Raab (Rochester, N.H.) then stepped up to belt home two more runs from a single. The score read 8-3 Lynx heading to the bottom of the fourth.
- Lesley were able to plate two more runs in the following inning after a Pickett double and Acker Single.
- Pickett finished the day with three hits and three RBI's, Raab plated two runs on her lone hit.
- Day picked up the win in 2 1/3 innings from that start. Kara Haga (Levittown, N.Y.) pitched 4 2/3 innings in relief with three strikeouts.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Trailing 1-0 in the fifth inning, the Lynx rallied to take the lead. First, Medina and Day were able to single onto the bases. With two outs, Acker put a ball into the outfield to bring both base runners home.
- Antonia Kieran (Wilmington, MA) then doubled up the middle to bring home Stephanie Schofield (Woodside, CA), who pinch ran for Acker. Lesley held a 3-1 advantage after five full innings.
- Lesley added some insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth, after a Day sacrifice fly and Kieran walk.
- Jen Thorburn (Groton, MA) pitched a complete game gem only surrendering one run on four hits, while collecting five strikeouts.
- Pickett and Juliana Cecere (Revere, MA.) each picked up a stolen base during the contest.
- Defensively, Acker and Medina combined for a double play and Cecere picked off a baserunner trying to steal second.
Lesley (5-3) return to the field Thursday, March 14, for its final set of games in Florida against Pitt.-Bradford at 9:00AM, and playing Nazareth College at 1:00PM, both from Naples, Florida.