Framingham, MA. - Lesley University softball completed sweep of Framingham State University (FSU) on Thursday afternoon at Maple Street Field on the campus of FSU. In Game 1, Lesley picked up five runs in the fifth inning for a comeback victory, 7-6. In game 2, the Lynx scored nine runs in the final three innings for a comfortable 10-4 victory in six innings. Lesley improve to 11-5 overall, while the Rams fall to 5-9 on the season.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley struck first in the first inning courtesy of a back-to-back hits from Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) and Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT.). Medina grabbed a single from the leadoff spot, enabling Pickett to double to bring Medina home.
- The Lynx then trailed as the Rams scored three runs over the next three innings. Lesley pulled one back in fourth through a Ilana Zack (Randolph, MA.) solo homerun to left field, her first career homer. Rams would tack on two more runs in the bottom of the fourth, to hold a 5-2 lead.
- In the fifth, Lesley exploded for five runs to take control of the game. First, hits from Pickett and Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) set up an Ashleigh Acker (Apopka, FL.) fielder's choice which brought home Pickett. Then, Zack singled to left to drive home Day. Kristen DiCicco (Wantagh, N.Y.) then followed with a single to plate another Lynx run.
- Then, in bases loaded situation, Lindsey Jensen (Milton, MA.) drew a walk to grab and RBI and another Lynx run. Medina then brought DiCicco home via a single through the middle. At the end of the fifth, Lesley held a 7-5 lead after five full innings.
- Lesley would hold on for the result in a tight 7-6 finish. Day earned her fourth win on the season in a complete game effort from the circle. Day grabbed three strikeouts, while only allowing six runs (three earned) on six hits.
- Four Lynx registered two hits each (Medina, Pickett, Zack, and DiCicco) with 10 hits as a team.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- The top of the order got Lesley on the board in the first inning again. After Medina reached from a single and Day reached on error, Acker doubled to left center to score Medina. FSU tied things at 1-1 in the bottom of the first.
- Lesley were held until the fourth inning with two runs to take the lead. Three straight singles from Day, Acker, and Jordan Raab (Rochester, N.H.) setup consecutive ground outs for Zack and DiCicco to each collect an RBI.
- In the next inning, L. Jensen walked and then stole second, which setup Medina to double for another RBI. Then, with two outs, Raab and Zack picked up hits to score two more runs. Lesley then grabbed another run from a Rams error.
- The Lynx then picked up three more runs in the sixth after a Day single plated one and a Raab double scored two more. Lesley would hold on to win 10-4, in six innings.
- Jen Thorburn (Groton, MA) picked up her sixth win of the season on in five innings of work. Thorburn struck out three while only allowing four runs, three runs were earned.
- Lesley as a group had 12 hits, four doubles, and nine RBIs, Raab and Zack led in RBIs for three and two respectively.
Lesley (11-5) open New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) play with its home opener on Saturday, March 30, against Becker College in a doubleheader. The games will be played at Marcus Field on the campus of Brandeis College in Waltham, MA, first pitch of game 1 will commence at 12:00PM.