Waltham, MA - Lesley University softball split home opener versus conference opponent Becker College on Saturday afternoon at Marcus Field on the campus of Brandeis College. The Lynx started the day with an offensive display, 11-3 in five innings, but a late rally from Becker earned themselves a split with the Lynx for game 2, 6-5. The Lynx open the conference play with a 1-1 record, and 12-6 on the season. Becker also open conference action 1-1 while improving to 6-10 on the campaign.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley trailed in the first after three runs from the Hawks, but opened the hitting to take one back in the bottom of the first. A Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) double, followed by a Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT) single, gave the opportunity to Jordan Raab (Rochester, N.H.) to come up with an RBI single.
- In the bottom of the second inning, the Lynx would take the lead and never relinquish it. Back-to-back doubles from Lindsey Jensen (Milton, MA.) and Medina, brought in the first run in the second with the RBI given to Medina.
- The next batter, Pickett knocked a HR to score two more and take the first lead of the day. Two batters later, Ashleigh Acker (Apopka, FL.) had a two run homer of her own, after a Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) single.
- The Lynx bats did not quit as they continued to add runs in the fourth. A single from Raab scored Day, followed by an Ally Murphy (Raynham, MA) two run homerun. At this stage, Lesley led Becker 9-3.
- In the fifth, Riley Pickett hit her second homerun of the game, this time a solo shot. Acker would pick up an RBI single to end the game after five innings. 11-3.
- Day pitched a complete game from the circle collecting five strikeouts and only allowing five hits.
- Four different Lynx had two or more RBIs during the contest (Pickett 3, Acker 3, Raab 2, and Murphy 2).
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Both teams started off the game with one run each in the first two innings. Lesley picked up it's run from a Kristen DiCicco (Wantagh, N.Y.) single in the second. However, Becker would take a 3-1 lead after another a pair of runs in the third.
- Lesley would storm in the fourth to take the lead. First, singles from Day and Acker set up Murphy to plate Day on an RBI single. After a single from DiCicco, L. Jensen doubled to plate two runs and take a 4-3 lead. Lesley would get another run in the fifth from a passed ball to bring Day home from third.
- However, Becker scored three runs in the sixth to hold a narrow lead. Becker would eventually hold on to snag it's first conference win of the season.
- The Lynx collected 12 hits and four different student-athletes registered an RBI.
- Jen Thorburn (Groton, MA) picked up the loss with six full innings of work with five strikeouts and only three earned runs.
Lesley (12-6, 1-1) hit the diamond on Tuesday, April 2, for a non-conference doubleheader against Suffolk College. Game one will start 4:00PM. Becker College (6-10, 1-1) travel to Mass. Maritime on Thursday, April 4, for set of games beginning at 3:00PM.